Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Trek Recap!

I didn't take many pictures of the Pioneer Handcart Trek that Damian and I just went on. I took some on the bus. When we arrived in Bing Canyon, I found there were photography people there, following us all, documenting the experience. I had so many other responsibilities, I packed my camera away (after it got wet the first day!!) .

This lovely gal is one of my "daughers," Bella. She and I worked on her pioneer outfits, so that they corresponded with her school colors. She was a walking advertisement for South High, and was so cute. She worked really hard to go on the Trek, and also kept the same pace, while on the Trek. I'm very proud of her.

Cali, my littlest "daughter" and her best friend were so excited, starting out at 4am ~ in their cute pioneer clothes. They giggled their way into all our hearts and we all loved Cali's cute enthusiasm. When we were asked to pull her IN the handcart to intesify our experience, we were all happy to do it. She is a joy, with the sweetest personality.

The little girls fell asleep pretty soon after we left, on the bus. I think they're even cuter, asleep!

Too bad these three didn't sleep more, ha, ha! AJ and McKayla on the right were 2 of my "kids." What fun they were. AJ was our Oxen. He pulled that handcart the WHOLE time, never taking a break, not even to button his shirt, as it came undone, repeatedly, BY ITSELF! Talk about a work ethic, he's unstoppable!

McKayla was a powerhouse, too. These are two of my favorite kids, so much fun and so smart. For example, AJ spent a lot of time making new friends and learning a new language. A "mother" can only be so proud. McKayla spent tons of time looking out for her "sister" Megan . . . chaperoneing, really. Thanks to you two, our family was the most popular 'hang out' place in the whole camp!

Megan and her boyfriend, dancing to some FUN pioneer music. If anyone can liven up a family, it's Megan. She was really a great "daughter" and worked really hard to help her Ma & Pa. She is obedient and creative. She and McKayla planned a skit where they both fit inside one of Megan's dresses, as Siamese Twins. They were pretty hilareous.

These two were our Big Brother & Big Sister, Ammon and Jenny. I couldn't have asked for better leaders to help motivate all the other kids. Ammon was the other Ox in the family. He encouraged everyone and treated everyone with kindness and strong leadership. Jenny was the quiet, sweet influence that our family needed. She hung back with anyone who needed a break, or needed to check on a blister. Her calm, encouraging ways kept us all working hard. I am so thankful that Julie Doll put these two with our family. I know she was inspired by Heavenly Father to do so and I'm very grateful.

Jaime, another trek "Son" had his share of challenges. He had severe anxiety about coming on the trek, and threw up 6 times, the first day. Once he got the routine down, he was able to push and feel good about what we were doing, especially the last hour of the Trek, when he saw an end in site! He was fun to be around, with his silly personality. We were also grateful that he ALWAYS went to bed RIGHT after dinner. If only some of our other "kids" could have followed his example, I would have gotten a lot more sleep!!

We played and worked HARD together, the boys looked out for their "sisters" with quiet strength, and the kids were altogether obedient and good. I was so proud of them and all that they achieved. We felt spiritually uplifted and renewed in our faith, together.

I must say, I would take these kids ANYWHERE, but give me a mini-van, over a handcart, please! You can see our last "Son," Diego, in the passenger seat. What a good young man he is, and he worked really hard, all 18 miles that we walked and pushed!

Thanks to all of my wonderful Trek Kids, I'll miss being your Ma. You can expect a body crushing hug, when I see you at other activities. And I'll smell much better, than I did on the Trek, I promise!

4 comments:

The deVilleneuves said...

Great Job, Ma!

utmommy said...

Sounds like a wonderful experience.

Andrea said...

It sounds like you all had such a great time! I am glad that you have such neat callings with the youth, you are so much fun!

Karen said...

Thanks so much for all you did to help all the youth, especially Jamie, to have a wonderful experience! He came home so pleased with his accomplishments. We so wanted to be there - but pur newest grandchild needed us in Portland for her major surgery. She's fine now, after maturing a bit they'll make her good as new. Kudos to our great medical team, especially Brother Wallace!