Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Italia: il Matrimonio de Sem e Briana

This is my longest post ever, but it is one of my proudest moments in life. I have one sister and I was so happy for her on her wedding day. I honestly thought this day would never come because Briana has always been a free-spirit. I love her husband Sem and her sweet little step-son, Luca. I love being married and I hope she'll have the same happiness that Damian and I have.


My mom made Briana's dress/veil (and mine). She did a great job and Briana LOVED it!!

Briana borrowed this cute little Fiat for her wedding day. Her friend only taught Briana how to drive it, so Briana chauffeured on the wedding day! It was fun to follow behind their car. All the townspeople came out to wish her and Sem well, to ooh and aah over her dress and cheer her car on.

They were married by the Justice of the Peace at the courthouse, or the Italian equivalent. It was a nice ceremony and mucho kissing afterwards!

Sem came up to my mom and said, "I am so, so happy today! Thank you for coming so far! Thank you for your daughter. This is a vey happy day for me!"


We two Goold Sisters have a silly sense of humor. We can hardly ever act normal for the camera!! But, since I was the photographer, there are hardly any photos of me, so I thought I'd better include this weird one.


Both sets of parents were THRILLED for the union of Briana and Sem.


One of my Matron of Honor Official duties: Rice Picking.

Sem's friend, Vincenzo handled all the appetizers, or antipasto, in Italian. He reminded me of a Basque guy.



Margherita, Sem's mom and AnnaLisa, Sem's sister, made the delicious first course, a Traditional Sardinian dish: Ragu al Cinghiale (Wild Boar).


There was no parking on the little street where the Reception was held, so the Newlyweds made a grand entrance, walking. Notice the little Italian Donna Anziana (Old Woman) watching from the window!


This is my favorite photo from the wedding day. Little Luca holding his daddy's hand with Sem's bride happier than ever!

I like this one too. I love these Italian streets, with the pretty balconies and flags.


Briana enjoyed some time alone with Luca, dancing and playing.


Sem's best friend, Michele was the best man. Michele's daugher, Maya also played with the bride!

Carey and Karl are two of Briana's friends. They are expatriates from England living in Bosa with their 2 kids. Their littlest, Evelina, is a good friend of Luca's.


The reception was held in a Cantina (basement) that is also used for Carnivale Celebrations. It was nice an cool, with a festive atmosphere. We all changed our clothes to eat. I'm on the left side, with blue dots on my shirt. My mom is in the front, with a black shirt. Sem is handing Briana a glass.


Dario and Margherita, Sem's parents were very fun to visit with. We had enjoyed an afternoon at their home in the country (I'll post about it soon!)



Vincenzo is a HUGE part of the local Carnivale celebration. He demonstrated the proper way to dance with the bells on. Then, all the Goolds tried it (and Briana's friend, Jade!) The video is of my dad, who gave the best performance!


The lovely wedding cake with "Best Wishes" on top!




An Italian Tenor came to serenade the newlyweds.

This little family (excluding the blonde bambina, Evelina) is best friends with Briana, Sem and Luca. Michele is Sem's friend from college and Maya is Luca's best friend. Briana loves Stephania, too!

After awhile, some men busted out their guitars and sang to the crowd, too!

As the night wore on (we were there about 12 hours!) and the wine flowed more freely, the Italians got more into the Carnivale spirit. One of the Carnivale Traditions in Bosa is for the men to paint their faces black and mob through the streets. So, everyone had their faces painted black with a burnt cork and there was more singing and merrymaking!



My parents have truley been good sports. They had their faces painted with burnt cork, danced with the Carnivale Bells, ate worm cheese (yes, that's traditional Sardinian fare . . . sheep cheese crawling with maggots), eating horse meat for dinner and eating prickly pear (cactus). I danced and ate horse and cactus, but no thanks to the maggots and face painting. I figure I don't have to impress anyone like they do. I did go cliff jumping with my dad, Briana and Jade, so keep checking for that funny post!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!! I love the dress! Very sweet, simple, elegant...lovely.

I think we should paint our faces black at Girls Camp next summer. Think we could get away with it? Minus the free-flowing spirits, of course ...

m+b said...

YAY!! I'm so glad to finally see the pictures!! I wish we could have come! Briana's dress turned out beautiful!! The video of your dad is HILARIOUS!! I miss you guys but it looks like your having a ton of fun!! Be safe and take a million more pictures... And not to dissapoint anyone but our wedding won't be nearly that exciting haha... No weird food to consume!

Grandma Duffy said...

Your mom did a great job on the dress and veil. Sounded like it was truly an experience that most of us will never get to have. Glad you got to be there!

Amber said...

Looks like so much fun! Glad you are having fun....I wouldn't have tried the worm cheese either.

Can't wait to see the rest of your trip!

Krystal said...

Beautiful and fun wedding pictures. Briana's hair and dress is gorgeous! and, I love all the cute pictures of the little newlywed family. I'm so glad that you and your parents made it for their wedding. Give Briana hugs and congratulations for us! Oh yeah, and the worm cheese sounds disgusting...your parents deserve congratulations too for trying it!

Cynthia said...

Thank you for sharing the pics, it's almost like we were there! Such a beautiful dress, bride, and day. We are so excited for new family, Luca is such a cutie!!!

gooldylocks said...

HAHAHA i can't believe how funny dad is jumping around with the bells of mamutone. oh my goodness i wish i could have come i saw all the friends of brianas that i met and loved. alessandro elaina dario margeritta michele stephania mya. i didnt see paulo or any of that crew though. or micheal or his family. Man i miss italy that looks like so much fun. i never did eat the cheese but i heard rumors of it from briana ugh i cant believe you ate the wriggling cheese. briana looks beautiful and sem looks very handsome it looked like they were both so happy. send my love to both of them and luca he looked so adorable in his little vest with a little pouty face. he is kind of an attention hog. it sounds like you guys are having a wonderful time. email me your shutterfly stuf so i can look at all the pictures. love you send my love to everyone. buh bye

Lana said...

She's a beautiful bride! and it looks like such a fun celebration!!

Julie Doll said...

Looks like things went well and that you had a wonderful time. You sister was a beautiful bride.

Damian Idiart said...

Beautiful Wedding.

youreprettytoo said...

You sister looks beautiful and what a wonderful experience for you. Oh and you look beautiful too! :)

Andrea said...

It looks like a beautiful day. We are so happy for them. I wouldn't have eaten worm cheese or horse meat. You did a nice job on the pictures, and your mom made a very lovely dress. They make such a cute family.

Kristi said...

Spencer said that he has had the worm cheese - it was apicy and strong in flavor.
Everything looks so romantic and ...neat. Wonderful posting.
okay bye.