Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Alaska: Part Two "A Lot of Bull (Moose)"

Moose and Caribou are an important part of Alaska. Most men hunt and/or fish, in Alaska. My dad liked to talk about all the money we saved, eating from the land. He didn't mention the cost of his airplane, 4-wheelers, guns, hunting licenses, etc. I think our Moose-Burgers must have cost dad about $250 each. But the taste made up for it. NOT!! If I never eat another Caribou "Steak" or Bear "Stew" or Dall Sheep "Meatloaf" I will die happy. So far, so good.


Moose weigh between 850-1200 lbs. and a collision with one can kill everyone in the car. Please be careful people, if you drive in Alaska! Moose are very dangerous animals! Dad, were any of those burgers made from ROAD-KILL?



If you've been to my home, you may wonder where the inspiration for my landscaping comes from. We have many gorgeous rocks and hardy weeds, just like these Alaskan specimens. This landscaping design photo was taken near Lake Eklutna, my old Girl's Camp stomping grounds. We had to pull handcarts for 8 miles, back in 1986, with all our gear, over this terrain. Let's take a closer look at the lovely green plants:

It's "Moose Grass", according to my friend Emily. I am still trying to find the scientific name. When she and I hiked around, remembering our good times at girl's camp, I saw this plant and squealed, "I remember this!" Probably because I pulled that handcart, while looking at the ground for 8 miles.

Moving onto Parade Time in Alaska at the Talkeetna Moose Dropping Festival. Look at all the beautiful, creative Moose (not Meese) that will be auctioned off for charity. Do you recognize Mickey Moose?


And this Moose is a Can-Can Fishnet Stocking Wearing, "When I am Old, I Will Wear Purple," Red Hat Society Woman. Only in Alaska will you find such a tastefully painted sculpture. We Alaskans are an artistic breed.

Artistic in more ways than one! Look at this lovely use of old snowshoes. And the Caribou Antlers serve as a functional piece of beauty. My goodness, if you run out of nails to hang baskets on every available inch of wall, you can use antlers! Alaskans are true creative geniuses!

7 comments:

The deVilleneuves said...

Ahem. Lovely. Sure.

I'm proud of Texas! It's got music, real cowboys (not mooseboys), real steak, hamburgers, and lots of places to put mud on your tires!

But, we love you, too...and you're from Alaska, so that's alright with us!

Elaine Goold said...

I love the creatively dressed and painted moose! Where can I get one for my beautiful St George desert landscaping!!! Since Dad won't let me have a live llama (I really want one!) maybe he'll a agree to a couple of those cute moose! I actually do miss eating moose, salmon and halibut. Can't say I miss the sheep, caribou or bear though. Just the thought and smell of those three make me want to barf!

Elaine Goold said...

You need to email Briana and teach her how to start a blog. I think she would really like it!

emily said...

Okay, well I had to research it.

http://128.104.239.6/uw_weeds/extension/articles/conhorsetail.htm


The actual name is Field Horsetail. I have never heard it called that. And well I still like the name Moose Grass, even if I did possibly make that name up?????

I have heard of Snake Grass, again not a scientific name, but I thought it was a different plant all together. But from the link you can see that "Snake Grass" and "Moose Grass" are the same plant, just at different stages.

So now we know . . .

Great Post!

emily said...

http://128.104.239.6/uw_weeds/
extension/articles/conhorsetail.htm

m+b said...

Sarah? This is your younger wiser brother Michael. I don't agree with your comment here about $250/moose burger! Dad was out killing those animals with the same guns, 4-wheelers, and airplane/s for twenty years! So the overall cost was a lot but eventually payed itself off. And yes the taste did make up for it! How dare you bag on moose burgers and bear stew!!!

Paul Levie said...

Sarah would have to agree with Michael on that one, can not see how anyone likes BEEF still after almost 15 years of no moose burgers, caribou steaks or bear stew ok I do not miss the bear stew. Come on how can you say that you really like beef the taste ewww.