Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Basque Leek Soup

Apparently, there were 5,000 entries, and I didn't win!

I just entered http://www.thepioneerwoman.com/ kitchen mixer givaway. I think I recieved one of those for my wedding, but returned it! I've been entering all sorts of contests for giftcards and scrapbook supplies. . .mostly on Pioneer Woman and Becky Higgins/Lisa Bearnson's blogs. I would just really like some free stuff, what can I say? For the mixer you had to enter a favorite recipe, and since Lasagna is so boring, I had to go to my second best receipe, both stolen from Suzanne, my mom-in-law. Here is entry #406:

I'm married to a Basque guy, and this is his mom's recipe, from France. He says I make it better than she does, now! I purree it, so I can chop everything roughly and get it done quickly. My kids like it that way anyway, so they don't see the veggies. It's a beautiful, light orange, creamy soup, perfect for a cold day.


Basque Leek Soup
(Serves 8-10)

1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 leek (I cut off the top, but mother-in-law leaves it on!)
2 celery stalks
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth
5 peeled carrots
6 peeled potatoes

Sautee onion & garlic in olive oil, add to broth in stock pot.
Roughly chop (because you'll purree later) leek, celery, carrots & potatoes.
Bring to a boil, cover and boil for about 30 min. (You can accidentally forget and boil for a few hours, since you'll purree, it doesn't matter)
Blend (in your blender) and liberally sprinkle the pepper!
ENJOY with a crusty french baquette.

3 comments:

utmommy said...

YUMMY!

Suzanne has the best recipes! I'll be saving that one for sure.

Lana said...

yumm! We just ate something just like this last weekend only it was MarieJeanne's recipe.

Elaine Goold said...

Now that your Dad does all the cooking, I'll pass this recipe on to him. I love your leek soup!