Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day Memories


Happy Mother's Day! My baby brother, Daniel, called from his mission in Panama. It was so fun to talk to him, it's been 5 months since we spoke and I've missed him! What a great present! This is a picture of him and his favorite companion, a guy from Honduras. He was just asked to be the Assistant to the Mission President, so I don't think this is his companion, anymore.

I just finished writing emails to some women that have influenced me. First, my mom. That email turned out to be more of a comparison, comparing the ways she's been a better mother to me, than I am to my kids. She really was/is a great mom. We are the same in that we both love to read and have taught our kids that love. The two biggest ways that I am NOT like her are that I can't cook worth beans and I haven't aged as well. This is my favorite picture of her. She looks so young. Once again, I'm the one dressed in a tacky clothes. My mom looks cute, and the other kids, so I'm assuming that I picked this hideous outfit out, myself??

I also wrote my two Goold Aunts that were the biggest influence in my life. My Aunt Linda & her family lived in my hometown of Valdez, AK. There never was a more loved little niece than me, by her. She was a wonderful second mom. I'm the oldest of 7, but when I'd stay with her, I was the ONLY one . . . she pampered me and doted on me and I loved being with her. Plus, she let me drink soda and watch "I Dream of Jeanne." At home, we basically didn't have sugar or cable, so this was REALLY exciting! At home, I had to take a bath using the same water as all the little kids, but at her house, I had it all to myself, WITH BUBBLES AND FUN BATH TOYS. Weird thing to remember, but maybe that's what started my love of long, bubble baths??

The other Aunt I wrote was my Aunt Cynthia. She invited me to stay with her young family in UT for a week the summer I was Emma's age. She treated me like a grown-up and we talked and talked. Her words would later come back to me, as I was dating and making decisions about my future. Her influence helped me become who I am today.

Have a wonderful day today, I'd better sign off, my breakfast in bed is coming up the stairs!!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Happy Mother's Day! I will show my mom your post next time she is here. I am sure she will love it. Happy Mother's Day to you too Aunt Elaine! I love this picture of you. When I see pictures of you in your 20-30's I always think you look so much like Sarah and Briana. Beautiful Women!

Leslie said...

Nice matching ties!