Monday, June 16, 2008

Tribute to my Dad

This love letter has been long overdue. I love my Dad. He means the world to me.

Damian and I went on a trip a few weeks ago and my Dad came up and watched our kids for us.

For a week.

And the kids were all still alive when I got home.

And they asked me for soda and ice cream with every meal, "like Grandpa gave us!!"

My Dad is interesting, fun and loud. But he's also tender. This is my adorable nephew, Matthew (Paul's son) with his Grandpa Gary!

While Dad was babysitting at my house and I was on the beach in the Bahamas, his own Father passed away, in Utah. Dad flew back, just in time, to speak at his own Dad's funeral. I was fortunate enough to have a layover in SLC, on my way home from Florida. I didn't get back on the plane, but stayed for 3 days in Utah and was able to go to my Grandpa Goold's funeral.

It was the first funeral I'd attended for someone I knew. I'd only gone to funerals to play the piano, and always for people I didn't know. And I certainly didn't look in the caskets! I've always been a little freaked out by death.

I didn't think I'd be emotional. Even though I loved my Grandpa Goold, he was old and he was sick. I was happy that he could be released from his mortal body and move onto a happy, healthy place. I was repeatedly overcome with emotion at seeing all my family and feeling of their love. It's a shame that people come together better for the dead, than they do for the living! I was touched by the military honors paid to Grandpa, for his service in WWII (My Dad and Matthew are in the right corner of this picture.)

Those that spoke about Grandpa moved me to tears at their love and respect for him, but my favorite speech was given by my Dad. He loved his own Father very much and he did a great job communicating that love.

You can't understand love fully until you are a parent, I think. You can't fully appreciate your own parents and your Heavenly Father, until you bring life into the world. THEN, you understand the sacrifices your own parents made for you. And the amount of love they have for you. Being a parent brings you closer to God than anything else, because you are more like Him in the moments you succeed, than any other.

I want to tell my Dad, on this day, that I think he's a wonderful Father. He has taught me about love, service and sacrifice, and in doing so, he's taught me about my Heavenly Father. Thank You, Dad!

Lastly, Thanks Dad, for teaching me the value of a good friend. You've been a true friend to me and my little family . . . and to Mom . . . thank you for that example. I've watched you and your High School buddies, Mike and Brent, my whole life. It was so fun to see them surprise you and show up at Grandpa's funeral. I love how loyal you are to each other and how you have supported each other through the years. And I loved having Brent for a Dentist. Some little girls have crushes on their teachers. I crushed on my Dentist.

OK, back to Dad . . . I love you! Thanks for everything! xoxoxo

6 comments:

utmommy said...

Sounds like your dad is an amazing man! Aren't we lucky to have such wonderful fathers?!

Paul Levie said...

That was so very nice, very heartfelt and heartwarming. Aren't parents the best.

Andrea said...

We love you too Uncle Gary! Happy Belated Father's Day.

Beka said...

What a blessing it is to have a sweet relationship with your Father. And, how beautiful that your own children are blessed with a wonderful Dad too. I just invited you to my blog, but just to warn you...it's slim-pickings. You'll be able to read the whole thing in 3.2 minutes. I love checking yours whenever I can.

Grandma Duffy said...

You do have an amazing father. I can't see my husband ever going by himself to stay and take care of the grandkids. He isn't one to watch them for a short time alone though he loves to be with and play with them.
Your dad did such a good job speaking. You have some great genes!

Elaine Goold said...

Dad read your love letter and said, Oh that is very sweet, very touching. Tell her thank you!

It was sweet, Sarah. Love you, Mom