Sunday, December 28, 2008

Establishing a Baking Tradition

I have desires to be a wiz in the kitchen in December. I have all the cookbooks, cookie cutters and visions of sugar plums. So far, the extent of my treat efforts is this: When a car drives up to our home in December, I pray out loud, "Please be bringing treats, Please have chocolate!" I'm not sure why I don't provide my own treats, but this year I did attempt one baking day. Maybe if I add one more treat each year by the time I'm a Grandma I'll have enough baking skills to be like Mrs. Claus.

I'm sure you can tell the design for these cupcakes came from my head. They are amateurish, and the kids did all the work themselves (except the mouth, eyes and buttons). We had a good time though and MAYBE the kids will ask me next year if we'll be making them again. And one of my fondest desires will have come true: I'll have established a baking tradition.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh those are adorable!! just perfect!! They will ask for another baking day, I am sure of it!

Kari said...

Sarah, those are so stickin' cute! I may have to steal that idea from you next year!

jen said...

Those are really cute and what a creative idea...cute little snowmen!

Lana said...

those are too cute!! I wish I saw them before, my kids would have loved to make them. Now it's too late Christmas is over, we are cleaning up, no time for fun anymore ;)

m+b said...

Sarah! These cupcakes are SO cute!! What a creative mind you have!!

Michael Larsen said...

Those are adorable sarah, and if you want to start establishing some traditions, you may want to write to my son Nick. He has goals of becoming a celebrity chef some day, and he's practicing at home. Today he treated us to Pear flavored Onigiri (Japanese style rice balls :) ).

Kristi said...

Those are cute and very creative.
I wish I could give you some of my baking desire. If I could I would open a bakery and bake all day long. Who eats all my baked goods though? This lady. Although it is fun to be a festive baker, especially during the holidays, it is a hazard to my cardiac health and overall wellness.
It is probably better to be like you and bake in moderation.

Elaine Goold said...

I'm proud of you Miss Sarianni!! You baked!! What a good mommy! Much better than me! I HATE baking! So I guess I'll never be a baking grandma. Although your kids and I did make those gingerbread houses one year at your house. I'd much rather sew! Love you cutie!

Jennie said...

How cute! Who knew you could do so much with cupcakes? By the way, Dolly sends the books to our house. Her motto is, "there are many reasons not to read to your child. Now we can eliminate one of them." It's great.

Tiffany said...

Not only were they cute, but we loved eating them. I had no idea they were your own design. ..straight out of martha stewart if you ask me. I was especially impressed that the hats were laminated--a little OCD, but nonethless impressive! We miss you all, tiff

Andrea said...

I think they are great, and I can't believe you laminated the hats!! Don't sell your self short, you are creative and the kids will definatly want to continue the baking tradition (so you better save the laminated hats).

Krystal said...

Those are the cutest cupcakes ever! You are very creative! A baking tradition sounds like a fun thing, especially around the holidays.