Friday, January 2, 2009

Murder Mystery Party

On New Year's Eve we had a Murder Mystery Party at our place. It was a riot with lots of good food, crazy costumes/acting and tons of laughs! I think we'll have to make it a tradition!

Can you see the tacky saleslady, with illegal wares hidden in her jacket, on the front row? That's me! My artist friend, Jen Vranes (on the front row) was a crooked art dealer. Her husband, Matt (the tall guy on the back left) was a sleazy lawyer, with a drinking problem and a gold tooth. He was hilarious. My sister-in-law, Christine is the cutie above Jen. She was a Congresswoman having an affair with the Street Preacher. My husband, Damian is the tall guy on the back right. He was the Street Preacher!! He had sired a baby with the Alien Love Child. Wow, what a night!

These were my "illegal wares:"

Kitty Soap: Just rub on Kitty's tongue and as she licks, it lathers! (I did get the CAT LADY to invest a million dollars in this product!)

Garbage Dispose-All Spray: Never pay for Trash again! Just mist on your garbage and POOF, it disappears. This product was problematic at the party as it had vaporized many children and I didn't want others to know about it.

Bug-Splosives: Sprinkle the crystals where you have a bug/rodent problem. Their saliva mixes with the chemicals and they explode. A little messy to clean up, but the popping sound is very satisfying, as they die!

You can pick out the Alien Love Child on the front row. She was so funny and should have won the Best Costume of the night, I think! It is nice to live where we have so many great friend that know how to have fun!

About an hour after "Getting to Know Everyone," the fortune teller, Autumn was MURDERED!! She played a very convincing dead woman.

My brother-in-law, Jared, an archaeologist and our friend, Ryan, a big game hunter tried to figure out who the murderer was . . .

Christine, the Congresswoman and our friend, Kari, the rich, eccentric CAT LADY couldn't figure the murder out, either.

These are the cute buttons Christine made to promote her campaign for Senate.

The "bimbo" in the back is my friend Kristi, who my Saleslady character hated. Her character had jumped out of cake at my fiance's bachelor party and stole him away, murdering him, as her 10th husband. She came armed to the party with sticky lip gloss, looking for husband #13 and kissed every man there. . . so if you see kiss marks on all the husbands, that's why! That woman has guts. Matt (remember him, the boozy attorney?) had some awesome business cards:

He'd ask everyone if he'd given them his card (a business card with "My Card" written on the back) Then, he's ask if they'd received his other card (another card with "My Other Card" written on the back. He'd also go around slapping people with "Lawsuits" (sticky labels with "Lawsuit" written on the back). He really was funny.

It was especially funny to see him wearing a black wig, since he always had a shaved head!

Jen Vranes twin sister, Val was an actress and her husband, Theron was a psychologist. He used a great German Accent all night and tried to diagnose everyone. They were a funny pair.

Our friend, Mahjinka was a mental patient ventriloquist that would only talk to people through "Mr. Mike" She cracked everyone up. I now know a VERY different side of her!

What a fun night, followed by pan banging and fireworks at midnight . . . check back tomorrow to see that post!

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Well that looks like lots of fun! I have always wanted to go to one of those murder mystery dinners!

Lana said...

well, I think you are the party princess! What a fun new years eve!!

Lana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lance and Kim said...

Okay next year we are coming on New Year's Eve! WHat fun. Everyone did a wonderul job.

Kristi said...

Wow. What a night!

Anna said...

Oh My gosh how Fun!! Who planned all of that? and the characters? and everything? I want to do that, but I am totally lacking the skills to put it together.

Autumn said...

That was almost more fun than halloween - I think because everyone didn't just dress the part, they really acted the part! It was a great night! Thanks for posting the pictures that I can now steal for whenever I get around to updating my own blog...= )

Callie said...

That was the most fun Scott and I have had in ages. We were still laughing about it all yesterday. Thanks for letting us all come and crash your house- you were an amazing hostess and I would really like some of that garbage- disposal. Wouldn't it be nice to really vaporize our trash?!

m+b said...

How fun!! I've always wanted to have one of those parties!! But almost all of our friends have moved away and I don't think they would enjoy it much!! Maybe next year we'll have to come visit for New Years so we can join in yours!! :)

Elaine Goold said...

What a fun party! How long did everyone have to get their costumes ready? How does it work - you send invites that describe each character? Well, Happy New Year to all of you! Dad and Dan went up to SLC to snowboard with Paul and then go to the Goold family party on Sunday. So it's just Eric and I and he's still in bed (4:30 in the afternoon) recuperating from his last 2 late nights out! Becca and Mike just called and invited me to come eat dinner with them at the Ramada where they work, but I can't make myself go outside - it's too cold!! I undecorated the house instead!

Christine said...

What a fun night it was! You were a crack up with the secret sweater...I was just like NY with all those vietnamese ladies trying to get us to buy more and more purses! You played a perfect saleswoman. I think you and Mahjinka and Callie get the best actress awards...you all were hilarious! Oh and thanks for highlighting my campaign button since it did take me 2 hours to make and Jared said it was not worth it now that they've been seen by all the world I feel justified@! Too bad you got a crapy one with the contact paper smeared down the middle...hence the reason I was 30 minutes late...I had a wrestling match with that darn contact paper and it obviously got the best of me! Anyway...you should have written how you picked up those dollar store pins for me since I couldn't have done it w/o you and I owe you 4 bucks! Well it was a great party and I can't wait for tomorrows post! Thanks for always being so welcoming to your home...you guys get hit up a lot since its so nice and big but we REALLY appreciate your generosity! Oh and sorry we hung around a little too late for Damian...I know you had some important business to take care of upstairs and we were just lagging a little too long!

Cindy and Robert said...

Oh sarah I am so sad we didn't go it sounds so fun! Next year hopefully We can make it.

utmommy said...

How FUN!!!

We've always wanted to do one of those parties, now you've got me convinced to do one. It looks like a blast. You all are SO cute!

Krystal said...

That party looks like so much fun! I love the costumes and characters. I've always wanted to go to one of those parties. Happy New Year!

Jennifer Vranes said...

That was definitely a fun party! Now I'll never be content with staying at home in my pajamas, watching it on T.V.! We'll have to do this every year. I'm still cracking up every time I think of Majinka and Mr. Mike. Thanks for letting us use your perfect party house!

Natalie said...

What a fun evening. We have been to a couple of mystery parties and they are a blast. However, your costumes are the best. You are quite the party girl:)
I wish you and your darling family a wonderful and a Happy New Year.
Love n' hugs.

Anonymous said...

Okay, NOW I get why there were a few random calls about costumes over the past few days.... did Sherlock ever manage to find a pipe?