Sunday, January 4, 2009

Service ~ Week 1

Each Sunday our family is going to journal about acts of service we've performed during the previous week. It is our hope that at the end of the year we'll be kinder and more Christlike as a family. We'll do this in honor of both sets of Grandparents. At the end of the year, we'll publish these posts into little books for them as next years Christmas Gifts!

"God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is through another person that he meets our needs. Therefore it is vital that we serve each other." ~President Spencer W. Kimball

Damian: I am glad that Sarah has put together this service blog. It will be fun to review this at the end of the year. Yesterday I spent the day removing the Christmas decorations from the temple. I had such a good time thinking about baby Jesus, especially on the grounds of the temple. I have really enjoyed decorating the temple for the last several years. The decorations are simple but they remind me of how simple the gospel is. I especially liked this year that I was able to decorate and take down with the assistance of my family. It was so fun to see the kids carry the garlands to the empty boxes to be loaded up in our truck. I enjoy any type of work I can do with the kids.

Sarah: I invited Christine's kids over while she did errands one afternoon. I can't remember the last time we had Marcus over to play, since Ben is in Pre-School, and I don't think we've EVER watched Elise. They are so cute and it was a real pleasure. The best part was watching Rachel and Katrina act like little mothers. They are so good with Elise! Ben and Josh took good care of Marcus too. We all played board games and had lunch together. It was a fun time and I hope to do it again. . .

Emma: The Broesders invited me to to help Aven (their 11 yr. old daughter) babysit twice last week. On New Years Eve they stayed out until midnight, even!! We banged pots and pans with Renna and had a good celebration. I like helping with Aven's brother and sister. They are cute. Jason and Chelsea (the parents) always compliment me about what a good babysitter I am and it makes me feel good to help them and spend time at their house.
(It's true, the Broesders do love having Emma, they say she helps Aven act more grown up, if that's a good thing? We're really happy that Aven has moved into our ward and she and Emma have grown so close!)

Joshua: It was our last week of Christmas Break and my friends were busy. I spent most of the week playing with Ben. He'd sleep in my room every night and we'd wake up together, get breakfast, do chores (I'd help him with all of his) and then we'd just play all day. We played Star Wars, jumped on the tramp, played with the dog, watched movies, read books, played games and just had fun. I know it makes Ben feel good when I spend time with him and I like it too.
(Damian and I really were so proud of how Josh treated Ben all through vacation. Ben was in heaven with that much Best Friend/Big Brother attention!)

Rachel: My cousin Elise came over and I watched her almost the whole time. I carried her, played with her, put her bib on, fed her lunch and made her laugh a lot. She is so cute. I took care of her while everyone else was playing games so she didn't fall down the stairs or mess up the games. I hope I get to be her babysitter when I am 12, she is really easy to babysit.

Katrina: I always help my mom do laundry. This week Rachel, mom and I folded about 10 loads while we watched a movie together and that was fun.

Benjamin: My dad and me are setting up my mom's camera thingy (a new printer) for her. I'n in charge of ripping the plastic and taking all the little things out. I'n the garbage guy, too. I put all the garbage in this box. Hey Dad, the 'structions says to take this sticker off on the dot to dot lines. Where's the scissors? Josh, wanna help me cut this sticker thing on the dot to dot lines?

No comments: