Saturday, January 24, 2009

You know you're from ALASKA, part 2

You can relate to 5 or more of this things...

21. You were appalled by the "Carrs-Safeway" merge a few years ago.
22. You have to have a raven cage around your trash to keep them out.
23. You go to school, work, or both in the dark and come out in the dark
24. 30 degrees is shorts weather
25. -10 is a bit nippy
26. Buses leaving school are delayed because a bear is in the parking lot
27. You tell people you live in an igloo for kicks.
28. You don’t swim in natural bodies of water for fear of swimmers itch or beaver fever...or leeches.
29. Having a moose in your front yard is a legitimate excuse for being late to school.
30. There is nothing like Matanuska Maid...who cares about Meadowgold, Dairyland and Viva!! 31. You only go to the fair for turkey legs and a husky burger.
32. You refer to the continental US as the "lower 48."
33. You get an attitude when you have to pay tax in the lower 48.
34. There is 4 feet of snow the night before school and you STILL have to go.
35. If you don’t like the weather wait for 5 minutes and then go back out outside.
36. You sleep through an earthquake like nothing ever happened; the only way you know is because the clock fell off the wall.
37. Salmon isn’t a delicacy, it's a staple.
38. Halibut is beer battered rather than cooked some fancy way.
39. 70 degrees is equivalent to 90 degrees in the lower 48.
40. You know who "Sleeping Lady" is.

Stay tuned tomorrow for the last 'segment.'

5 comments:

Brandan and Becky said...

I just started your list today so I had to catch up from yesterday. The line about bald eagles not being special caught my eye. I'm fairly certain I remember every bald eagle I've ever seen-- so majestic and each was in a gorgeous setting. My favorite local birds are blue herons. I stop and watch every one that I see go by. They're so stately.
Becky

Paul Levie said...

I remember driving to the pass one morning to go skiing and we had a contest to see if we could spot at least 50 bald eagles. The drive to the pass was like 20 miles more or less and I am pretty definite that we saw at least 50 eagles. Sorry they eat small pets in Alaska. These lists of yours are extremely funny Sarah.

Autumn said...

I love it! I have never thought about how day to day life would be up there - I am such a warm sunshine girl, I am sure I would be whining within the first ten minutes! Alaskans are amazing that they don't just endure cold for a few weeks or months of winter! Fun blog series Sarah!

Andrea said...

I like the four feet of snow one. I remember walking to school over the snow hills made by the plows. Someone was always getting stuck up to their waist. Someone else would have to go get help and then we'd all be late for school (another acceptable reason to be late).

Krystal said...

I also like the 4 ft of snow one...too bad you never got any "snow days" in Alaska where they canceled school! And, I'm not so sure that -10 is a bit nippy...I would say it's FREEZING, but then again, I'm not from Alaska!