Sunday, January 25, 2009

You know you're from ALASKA, part 3

You can relate to 5 or more of this things...

41. During the winter you rarely use your freezer.
42. You think $4 for a loaf of bread is cheap.
43. You don't sleep in the summer because it’s too short to miss a minute of it
44. Half your friends own a sled (snow machine) and you think people that call them snow mobiles are idiots
45. You have been chased or know someone who has been chased by a moose at least once.
46. You’ve seen the northern lights, and you know why they are such a "big deal."
47. Your bedroom windows are covered in aluminum foil or black blankets.
48. You only watch the news when they announce the amount of the year’s dividend.
49. You have to start your car at least an hour before you leave so most of the ice and snow will melt off by the time you leave.
50. You wear flips flops all year without getting sick.
51. You've never seen cotton or tobacco growing, but your neighbor has a 30 acre pot field.
52. You literally can’t leave the house without seeing some one you know.
53. You know the term "studs" isn’t referring to hot guys.
54. You have to ski in gym class.
55. You know who "Binki" was, made fun of that stupid Australian tourist, and was so sad when he died.
56. You expect to see a moose crossing Tudor every time you drive down.
57. You give up and tell people in the lower 48 that you DO live in an igloo and you DO have a pet polar bear named Mishka when they refuse to believe otherwise.
58. You call someone without a crack in there windshield a tourist.
59. You've seen a 2-month old moose get hit by a full-size van at 65 MPH, then get up and run off.
60. Your parents taking you trick-or-treating involves riding door-to-door in the car and a costume that fits over a snowsuit!

I have to say, I totally follow #50 religiously. I am a "Flip-Flop Girl," tried and true. When it's winter here in Oregon (which feels about like a cool summer day in Alaska) and people act so appalled that I'm in flip flops, I ALWAYS say. . . "Oh, I'm from Alaska, I don't get cold!"

9 comments:

Andrea said...

How funny, you make me laugh! Number 55 confuses me though, because I don't have a clue what you are talking about (I don't think).

Kristi said...

Although you have come up with many funny quirks of Alaska living, Alaska has been good to you. Isn't that how you and Damian became acquainted, because of your Alaska upbringing or residence?
THAT story is funny too.

Paul Levie said...

I love it, your blog really does brighten up an otherwise dreaded day, Sunday. I love them all like Andrea might not know who "Binki" is but if you say it it must be right. Love you tons please keep us going with your great childhood upbringing.

Natalie said...

I love reading your blog. You are so witty. Maybe some day we can take a trip there and you can show us your old stomping grounds.
Love n' hugs

Elaine Goold said...

Who's Binki??? I wasn't raised in Alaska - that must be why I don't know who he/she? is.

Kendra said...

I love this. I moved away from Alaska when I was seven, but I know who Binki is, so I must be a true Alaskan

Anna Winn and Family said...

We were "thinking" about moving to Alaska...NOT ANY MORE!

Krystal said...

You had quite the adventures living in Alaska, I think. I love that you answer, "I'm from Alaska, I don't get cold!" when people wonder about the flipflops. :)

Beka said...

You should send these lists to some newspapers in Alaska and get them published!