Monday, February 23, 2009

Service ~ Week 8

“Service to others deepens and sweetens this life while we are preparing to live in a better world. It is by serving that we learn how to serve. When we are engaged in the service of our fellowmen, not only do our deeds assist them, but we put our own problems in a fresher perspective. When we concern ourselves more with others, there is less time to be concerned with ourselves! In the midst of the miracle of serving, there is a promise of Jesus that by loosing ourselves, we find ourselves!” [See Matthew 10:39]

“Not only do we ‘find’ ourselves in terms of acknowledging divine guidance in our lives, but the more we serve our fellowmen in appropriate ways, the more substantive as we serve others – indeed, it is easier to ‘find’ ourselves because there is so much more of us to find!”
~President Spencer W. Kimball

Sarah:
My Sis-in-law, Christine taught the Relief Society Lesson on Sunday and I got to take care of Elise. What a joy she is. I really love that girl. I’m so glad that I can “borrow” her for a sweet baby fix occasionally. Next week she’s coming over to play while her mom goes to the cannery and does a little assignment. I’m looking forward to it!

Emma: I just accepted an assignment to be on the “Humanitarian-Aid Committee” for Girls Camp, but I can’t start until I’m 12!! Bummer! We’ll be making baby blankets/quilts so I’m looking forward to that……. This is what my mom told me to write…. I was going to put “My service is to write in this journal!” but I decided against it! I went out to dinner with Aunt Allison and Uncle Aaron and helped them with Mary and Noah.

Josh: I played a piano duet in Sacrament today with Sophie Hull. It was “Love is Spoken Here.” My service was to bring beautiful music to my ward.

Benjamin: I didn’t really want to go to Mia’s birthday party. I don’t ever go to birthday parties, except for my cousins. My mom made me go and Josh came with me. It was a Build-a-Bear Party. I didn’t even want to make the Bear or Kitty, but then I decided to make one for Katrina. She would really love a White Kitty, I thought. So Josh helped me decorate a tee shirt for the Kitty. We did a pink crown and wrote “Princess Nina.” On the back we made a beautiful, colorful butterfly. When I gave Katrina her kitty she was really happy. It felt good to do something nice for her. Even though I still didn’t have too much fun at the party. But the cupcake was good. (Sorry Callie/Mia, I hope you can forgive my rude, poor social skills boy. Maybe next year he’ll be better at parties?)

3 comments:

Callie said...

I am laughing out loud! What a funny kid you have!! I love that it made him happy to give it to Katrina, but that he "still didn't have fun at the party"! I'm glad that he came at all! Thanks for dragging him out to give service to Mia!

Jennie said...

Well...at least he tried, right? That's cool that Emma gets to be on the humanitarian-aid committee. How fun that she gets to go to girls camp this year!

Andrea said...

Ben is so cute. I love that little kids can get away with saying what we are all thinking. I too have been to parties that weren't fun, but the cupcakes were good.