Sunday, April 12, 2009

Poultry Pedicures

We've finally done it. We've become FARMERS. We are the proud owners of a beautiful $500 coop and 6 baby chicks!

All of the chicks look like clones and so we painted each of their nails a different color so the kids can be sure to hold them all equally. Apparently, if you hold chicks, they'll be more tame as adults. This is really important for your rooster. Since we have no idea if we have roosters/hens or some combination of the two, we're just loving them all.

Emma named her chick "Princess Poachy." In the event that Poachy is actually a rooster, we'll switch her name to "Prince Poachy." And then we'll eat him. Emma might become vegetarian at that moment. She's pretty attached. She likes to let Poachy climb all over her. And poop all over her. She's not squeamish!

Josh has named his "Dr. Peep," hoping he's a rooster. Josh's is so calm, I assume it's a hen. If it's a rooster, I think this will be our main mating man. He won't intimidate the ladies.

"Dr. Peep" really has a nice temperment. Kind of reminds me of Damian; quiet, calm, likes to snuggle and falls asleep as soon as you start talking to her/him. You can see it's little closed eye on the top right.

This is my all time favorite chicken picture. Rachel ADORES the birds. Hers actually is colored a little different, with quite a bit of yellow. This chick might be a HALF sibling of the others, because all the others have only black and white coloring.

Let me introduce you to "Sonny Side-Up." That isn't it's real name, though. Rachel only wants to call it "Sonny" but I prefer the middle name, also. This one is the youngest chick (one day old, as opposed to two days.) It doesn't have it's wing feathers growing in yet and still has a little bit of egg whites stuck on it's fluff. It has a lot of cute cowlicks on it's head, too. I think by tomorrow it'll be much more mature.

Katrina isn't a big fan of HOLDING the chicks, but hers is named "Shell-y." I want this chick to have the middle name "Huevo" but Katrina said, "NO!"

Benjamin is SURE his is a Rooster. I'm pretty sure, too. It is definately a FIGHTER. Ben wanted to name it "Benjamin Jared Idiart." Then he decided on "Rooster Eagle." What he doesn't know is that I've made an executive decision and we'll be naming his "Eagle Ben-edict." I'm SURE we'll be eating his bird if it's not a hen. It is the spazziest, weirdest bird. I think it might need some poultry prozac or something. It's either a Rooster or has mental health issues.

Happy Easter from the Idiarts: Katrina, Rachel, Emma, Marcus (my nephew stood in for Ben, since Ben didn't like his chick basket and had a fit) and Josh.

13 comments:

Autumn said...

Wow, first comment on a Sarah blog - I feel honored! Course, it's probably just because you went private, but still. First of all, I loved Ben's party blog - what an amazing cake! Have you taken classes or do you just pull somethign like that out of your head? Second - too cute that you got baby chicks! How fun is that - I am excited to see the upcoming stories that come as they grow up. I guess you took stake conference to heart and are ready to make your kids work. Now all you need is a cow...

Brandan and Becky said...

I can't believe you're going to eat your chickens after giving them such cute names and snuggling with them. You know, the Olivers bury their very pampered chickens when they pass on.

Becky (not a farmer)

Cynthia said...

Those are very clever chick names!
Happy Easter!
Love you, Aunt Cynthia

Lana said...

Our friends had chickens for years and we were often the chicken sitters. Which was fun. They are really cute but not much going on between the ears and the roosters are mean so hopefully you have a lot of hens in your group!

Elaine Goold said...

I love your chicks! I tried to call and tell you all Happy Easter, but no one ever answered the phone!! Now I know why, you were cuddling your new chicks!! So HAPPY EASTER late! Sarah, call Eric - he has something to tell you about what happened yesterday. He's so excited about his life!!

Aunt Val said...

Those kids are so cute!! Oh yea, the chicks are darling, too. How fun. John is jealous. He wanted chickens, but we didn't have a roost, so he is missing out. Enjoy those yummy eggs. Love you all, Aunt Val

Renee said...

Who knew chickens had different personalities! I glad i don't see that or I probably wouldn't want to eat them.

Grandma Duffy said...

You are so much fun! I have missed your fun posts like this one!!

Beka said...

I cannot let my kids see this post! They have seriously been talking about spending their Easter money to buy real live chicks! The only problem is that they each have $2, and is sounds like a coop costs a bit more than that...I guess there are other challenges, a new baby coming in a less than two months, and I could think of a few more if I tried really hard...

They will be delighted to visit your coop when we are in town next.

Leslie said...

Love all the names!! I hope you do a pictorial when you do choose to eat one - morbid, but interesting!

I love that you had a "stand-in" for Ben. hilarious. Glad to know my kids aren't the only ones who have fits! :)

allison nadauld said...

These names are awesome and who thinks of painting the nails. You guys are too creative and funny. I love the new chicks, great investment!

youreprettytoo said...

i'm so jealous! we've talked about getting chickens but have never dared do it! Also when you come to Utah- in may- right?!? we have to get together. It has been way too long.

KristiCollins said...

Seriously? Did you really paint all of those chicken feet? Your birds are so posh. So hip. Such a perfect addition to the Idiart coo-coo house. Love it! I want to see the eggs!