Saturday, June 13, 2009

Father's Day Tribute

There is a children's song in my church that goes,

My Daddy is my favorite Pal and he helps me everyday.
It's plain to see I want to be like him in everyway!
He teaches me that honesty is best in all I do,
I'm very glad that he's my Dad,
And I know he loves me, too!

It is such a great song and very true for me. I do love my Daddy. He's really so much fun to be around. He's a great teacher and friend. He's always supported every decision I've made. He's always called me "Princess" and treated me with much love and respect. I am thankful for the things he's taught me and all the sacrifices he made for me.

These pictures were on a CD I found in my attic. My paternal grandfather took them, when I was a new baby. I'm the oldest grandchild on my Dad's side and I was pretty spoiled. Although the cloth diaper thing, I'm not too sure about.

In the second picture, you can see that my dad is trying to teach me, a newborn, to walk. That picture says a lot about Dad. He is a teacher by profession and made sure to teach my siblings and I important things, when we were young. For example, we learned to sing "Give, Said the Little Stream" in Scottish Brouge, from his mission days. We learned to dance from Dad, and let's just say he's always had interesting moves. He took us swimming almost every weekend. He'd throw us in the deep end and say, "SWIM!!" He taught us to love adventure and growing up in Alaska there were adventures around every corner. He'd start by tossing us up in the air, in our cathedral ceiling living room. That must be where I got my love of cliffs and roller coasters. Where is that picture of him doing that? Then came the hiking, 4-wheeling, camping, and flights in his little plane. Thank you Dad for those early lessons.

You can see in these pictures that my dad is really strong. Strong but gentle. I've loved seeing my dad become a grandfather. He is such a loving grandpa and so sweet with the little ones. Thanks again Dad, and I hope you have a nice Fathers Day, on the beach in Italy, this year. xoxox

10 comments:

m+b said...

Mike says, "Look at those Goold arms!!!" cute photos though...When I saw the first one I thought it was Emma!

briana said...

This is from your dad. Now that you are mother, you can probably understand how excited I was the day you were born. It has been great being your father. I was so proud of you then and still am! I love you so much!

Natalie said...

Your Dad is awesome. I loved meeting him and getting to know him a little.
I also thought it was Emma at first, but didn't know who was holding her.
You're lucky to have a great Dad and now your kids have a great Dad too.:)

Elaine Goold said...

Oh that made Dad tear up and laugh all at the same time! Very sweet tribute, Sarah, to your dad. We have another week and a half. We leave Briana's on the 19th and then have a week in Naples. We'll see the cities buried by Vesuvius and the Amalfi Coast. We got to play games with Luca today. I don't know if we will see him again before we leave. I gave him a cheapo slinkie and thought it would be fun on all the stairs in this house, but the slinkie is too small and the distance between the stairs too great and it doesn't work here. I gave some to Ariana and Matthew also and they didn't work on their stairs either. Dang! They just don't make slinkies like they used too!

Elaine Goold said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cynthia said...

Sweet tribute to your Dad. You had a wonderful childhood, and you are now an amazing Mom! I love you Sarah, Aunt Cynthia

suzy said...

You are so cute... and so is your dad.

Jennie said...

Your dad used to scare me a little when I was younger. He has such a big personality and I always thought he was going to clobber someone if they were beating him at a game. But at the same time I always loved being around your family because it was always so fun. Always a new adventure...

Andrea said...

Happy Fater's Day Uncle Gary. What a sweet post for such a good dad.

Beka said...

I love all that hair you had as a baby! And, what a sweet tribute to your Dad.