Wednesday, June 3, 2009

RIP Buddy

When I started blogging, one of my first posts was about our newly acquired OLD dog, Buddy. And I compared his arthritic hips to Damian's. Click HERE to read it.

We found Buddy through Craigs List. The owners were going to put him to sleep and we rescued him from death. We have loved this gentle, sweet guy for 14 months.

Today, Buddy moved on to greener pastures. Namely, Heaven.

We put him down this afternoon. His hip dysplasia was getting very painful for him. He bore his pain like a champ, though. He always came running when the kids came off the bus, visitors arrived, or anytime we went outdoors. If the deck was wet, he'd still come running and then slip. He'd land hard, sliding into things/people. People were wincing right and left as they watched the poor beast hobble around our yard. Sometimes, we'd check his location, sneak out the opposite door and tiptoe to make an escape, just to spare Buddy a greeting.

Buddy, we'll miss you. You are irreplaceable.

I hope.

Although Damian told the kids tonight that the next dog we get will be an indoor dog and a puppy. I felt like shooting myself. Or him.

I said, "What's wrong with an OLD, outdoor Dog?" Everyone yelled at me saying, "THEY DIE!!"

I think they're the perfect kind of pet. Is something wrong with me?

I do have one regret. We never got a family photo that included Buddy. Dang it.

14 comments:

Leslie said...

Sorry for you loss. Although I completely agree with you. I would rather have an outside dog too.

Autumn said...

I fear getting a pet due to dealing with the death aspect. Though I suppose its a softer introduction to death than other things. However, isn't you or Tiff a photoshop pro? Can't you photoshop buddy into a family picture? I would look into it...

Jaysonsmom said...

I am sorry for your loss. That is a hard thing to deal with. My mom had to put her dog of seven years to sleep last year. Good luck on your next adventure in pets. I would recomend like a one year old if you don't want to do the puppy thing. This way they are past the puppy stage and you can have them around a little longer.

Elaine Goold said...

Adios, Au revoir, arrivederci Buddy. I know you will all miss him. Hopefully, there will a family up in doggy heaven that will love him as much as you all did!

Andrea said...

How sad, how are the kids handling it? I agree though, an adult outdoor dog is better than an indoor puppy. Maybe you can get one that is just a few years old, but not "Old" yet.

Kristi said...

Sad. He was so nice to all the kids, even my kids when they would maul him.
Sweet Buddy.

m+b said...

How sad!! And puppies are SO much fun but there just like having a baby!! And you will probably end up being the one who has to clean up after it and feed it which isn't enjoyable!! But i have to say they are SO worth it!

Krystal said...

I'm sorry to hear about Buddy. It's sad when pets die. Josh even wrote a poem once when his dog died...he was a teenager...don't tell him I told you that! :)

Grandma Duffy said...

Sorry to hear about Buddy! It is tough since they are such a member of the family. We have one that is getting that age, too. Not so bad having a smaller indoor dog though. Mine loves to be on my lap or sitting next to Rick. She is very sweet. She is our baby dog child.

Annette said...

I'm glad I got to meet Buddy a few times. One thing for sure, he was well loved.

Cynthia said...

Sorry for your loss, they become part of the family! We have an old dog, and I'm afraid I will be the one who finds him in his heavenly sleep on the front porch or something. Good luck in finding just the right dog for you!! ♥Aunt C

Emma said...

Well, mom you fibbed a little but who am I to judge you, right?? Just kidding.... I'm gonna miss Buddy! :( I promise to feed and brush a new dog EVERY DAY if we got one!!!!! So please consider that offer!!!! luv ya

mistie said...

Ah man! We talked about getting our big dogs together sometime ... We lost our sweet Cadi this week, too. We are so sad. She was a big hairy (indoor) dog, our home just doesn't feel complete without her. I'm really sorry. (Ryan and I are not ready - but Daniel keeps saying, "Let's get a new dog so we don't miss Cadi so much.")

Kari said...

Sarah, I haven't blog stalked you in a long time. This post made me a little reminiscent of our dog Kaitlynn. We had to put her down two years ago at fourteen too. I loved that big old dog, and I cried the day she died. I actually didn't have the heart to do it, and my Mom had to take her, and then she brought me a chocolate eclair when she came home (and I wonder why I can't lose weight).

The next day, I was totally over it. Dogs are sooooo much work, and indoor dogs are soooo messy. Stick with the old outside dogs, and save yourself some trouble, you have plenty of other 'animals' inside to take care of!