Monday, October 26, 2009

I Love U2

I've loved the band U2 since my best friend in Middle & High School, Emily Mauldin's big brother introduced them to me in 1987. I own every album and I know almost every song by heart. It's been a dream of mine to see them in concert and Damian surprised me with tickets to their show in Las Vegas last Friday. We had a wonderful time, LOVED the concert and then spent the weekend with my family in St. George. It was great.


When I was 2 years old, U2 formed in Dublin in the autumn of 1976 after 14-year-old Larry Mullen, Jr. posted a note on the bulletin board at his school seeking musicians for a new band. From the group of hopefuls that showed up at Mullen's home that first day, a band formed, with Dave Evans or "The Edge" (on the left) on guitar, Adam Clayton (with the dark glasses) on bass, Paul Hewson or "Bono" (with non-tinted glasses) on vocals and Larry Mullen, Jr. (on the right) on drums. All 4 went to school together. They were all between 14-16 years old when they formed the band.
U2 received a recording contract for their first record (Boy) in 1980. They were all 20 years old or younger I've included the cover from my all-time favorite album, "The Joshua Tree," released a few years later. They just released their 15th album this year, "No Line on the Horizon." Their careers have spanned 33 years!
I've enjoyed "researching" U2 for my "piece." I've always wondered where the nickname "Bono" came from. . . "Bono Vox" is an alteration of Bonavox, a Latin phrase which translates to "good voice" given to him as a teenager. He didn't really like it, until he learned it's meaning. He's been known as "Bono" since the late seventies. Although he uses Bono as his stage name, close family and friends also refer to him as Bono, including his wife and fellow band members. I still don't know where the name "U2" came from. . .
Something else that interests me are the band's families. Bono married his secondary school sweetheart, Alison "Ali" Stewart, who is a year younger than him. They've known each other since they were 12/13 and married when they were 21/22. Ali went to the first try-out session when the band was formed, even! She doesn't much care for their music, though, preferring Frank Sinatra. They've been married for 27 years. They have 4 kids, two daughters (Jordan and Eve) that are 20 and 18 and two sons (Elijah and John) that are 10 and 8. They both are hugely active in helping the plights faced in Africa.
Ali's best friend is U2's drummer's 30 year girlfriend, Ann Acheson. Larry Mullen, Jr. and Ann have 3 children together: Aaron (14), Ava (11) and Ezra (8).
Bono's best man was fellow band member, Adam Clayton. Adam is the only band member without a serious relationship and has no children. He was dating Naomi Campbell for awhile.
Bono owns 4 homes: Ireland, England, NYC and the villa he shares in Southern France with "The Edge." They also own a 5 star hotel in Dublin together. The Edge married his high school sweetheart the year after Bono and Ali were married. They have 3 daughters: Hollie (25), Arran (24) and Blue Angel (20). Those two divorced and The Edge remarried a professional dancer employed by the band. They have two children together: Sian (12) and Levi (10).
I know, I know, I'm writing like I actually know these people, but I DID SEE THEM IN CONCERT. That's practically like we're best friends. Now if I can get them to invite me to their villa in the South of France, I'll be SOO Excited!

5 comments:

Kristi said...

Thank you for the history of U2. I am so you are living your dreams and that you had so much fun. Something magical happens when you see a band live. For some reason you do feel like you know them.

Autumn said...

I am so glad you got to go see them, and to be able to share it with your husband! My hubby and I love doing the concert scene together, but haven't actually done so very often. What fun!

m+b said...

You are such a dork.

Cherie said...

I can't beleive how much you know about them! I love U2 also. I saw them in concert in Eugene the year after HS. I love "The Edge"!!

emily said...

Awesome! Shawn was here last week. I was telling him how you still refer to him for your taste in music. He just does his laugh, takes it all in - makes him think he's great! So funny.