Tuesday, April 15, 2008

My Music

I added music to my blog and just wanted to comment on my choices.

"Fire and Rain" by James Taylor is my all-time favorite song . . . I've put it on every mix tape I ever made . . . I downloaded it right away onto my itunes account . . . I know all the words by heart. I start dancing around the room, when it plays. I ordered an old favorite movie, "Running on Empty" with River Phoenix, from Blockbuster Online (you can find all sorts of weird 80's movies on there!) I loved watching this one, over and over, back in 1989 with my BFF, Emily. Watching it as an adult wasn't as fun, but when this song played during the movie, I realized when I first fell in love with the song. . .That's a 20 year crush, people. If you can have a crush on a song.

"Short People" by Randy Newman is so funny. My blog inspiration, Kari, put this on her blog and it cracks me up. It's a new favorite. If you listen to the words, like, "They wear platform shoes on their nasty little feet, I don't want no short people round here!" you'll laugh out loud! I think as I "age" I am getting quirky, and liking this song proves it.

"Sweetest Thing" by U2. I have to say, my all-time favorite band is U2. My before-mentioned BFF, Emily, had a VERY hot big brother, Shawn. He had great taste in music, and he looked great in his speedo, on the swim team. Sorry Emily, the truth had to come out. Don't tell your brother. I'll get even more red in the face the next time I see him, if that's even possible. I just realized, it's probably because of him that I joined the swim team and did student council . . . Wow, what an influence he had on me! OK, back to THE MUSIC, I first heard this song as a bootleg, in college, and LOVED it. Later, after I was MARRIED, it came out on an album. I've always loved it because I first heard it, ILLEGALLY!!

"For Good" by Kristin Chenoweth "Glinda" and Idina Menzel "Elphaba" (from the original cast of "Wicked") I saw this on Broadway last Feb. from a front row seat that I won on the daily lottery for $25 (the women behind me paid over $400 for their tickets!). I've never experienced anything quite as moving, as front row seats on BROADWAY, other than childbirth (And I didn't actually like childbirth, even though I kept repeatedly doing it) I wanted to put all the Wicked songs on my blog, but this one is the sweetest. "Defying Gravity" makes me cry and I didn't want to do that to you people. You should only cry during childbirth. And I didn't want those of you that aren't familiar with the Musical to get the wrong idea about me, with the song, "Popular." But it's really my favorite.

"Faithfully" by Journey is my favorite love song. In theory. I love the words, but every time Damian and I chaperone a dance, or go to an adult dance and it plays (because I always request it) I realize I have too short of an attention span to slow dance. And this song is 4:30 long. It is very boring to slow dance that long. Especially after the 3rd minute and all the Whoa, Oooh, Ooohs . . .Poor Damian. I am faithful to him, just not a faithful slow dancer.

"Que Sera Sera" by Doris Day reminds me of my Grandma Goold. She used to sing it to me, and it wasn't until I was in college that I realized it wasn't, "OK Sarah, Sarah" I think my Grandpa Prince sang it too, and my Great-Grandpa Levie . . . I come from a long line of singing fools. Too bad all they passed onto me was the fool part!

"You're Beautiful" by James Blunt reminds me of my France trip. If you know me well, you know I loved that trip for one particular reason. This song was popular on the Euro stations . . . before it was popular in THE STATES. I really love being cool and it doesn't happen often.

OK, so those are my top choices to share with you, but I have a few more up my sleeve, so I may add some at a later date . . .

3 comments:

emily said...

oh, my. . . you are crazy girl!!! speedo!!! I never knew that!

So much of my music also came from Shawn, his first record was Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of the Heart, still one of my all time favorites.

But I like Fire and Rain for all of the same reasons as you.

Kenny Rogers - Buy Me a Rose.

I really don't know any new music, how sad is that!

okay, well my top music pick is still Peter Cetera, he stole my heart with Glory of Love.

Emily

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

Em, I knew you'd be thinking of Peter Cetera, I checked our Britt Music Festival and he's not playing here this year, but I'll be praying that he does soon, so you can get your fix, Sarah

beca said...

For Good sounds like an Especially For Youth song. I like it, but that is what it reminds me of.