Thursday, May 29, 2008

Book #1: Fried Green Tomatoes @ the Whistle Stop Cafe

I read this book while laying by the pool in Florida. It's the 3rd Fannie Flagg book I've read this month and I still like, "Can't Wait to Get to Heaven" best.

Like Fannie's other books, this book was a fun journey into a lot of Quirky Southern Character's lives. Ms. Flagg is very good at teaching you about human nature and love, through the eyes of her characters.

I laughed out loud when one quiet character that had been unhappily married to a horrible wife decided to leave her one day (when his kids were grown). He left her a note that said:

Well, that's that. I'm off, and if you don't believe I'm leaving, just count the days I'm gone. When you hear the phone not ringing, it'll be me that's not calling. Goodbye, old girl, and good luck.

Yours truly, Earl Adcock

P.S. I'm not deaf

I laughed, but also felt so sorry for people who are unhappy in marriage. I am really grateful for my sweet husband and good marriage.
If you want a REALLY great read with a very nice message and truely inspiring characters, read Fannie Flagg's "Can't Wait to Get to Heaven." It is VERY funny, but also, very upbeat.

1 comment:

maggie moran said...

I love it! I haven't gotten around to reading Miss Flagg and it is probably time. I'll see if I can't get one in my bag! :)