Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Book #2: Mudbound

I've been enjoying the Southern Reading Challenge (3 books by Southern Authors in 3 months). Mudbound, a book published this year, really affected me. It has a huge following, but overall, I didn't like it. It was well written and interesting, but the negative things about it outweighed the good and I wouldn't recommend it.

First, it had a bit of swearing, which I hate.

Second, the despair and unhappiness of most of the characters was so overwhelming that sometimes, I was swallowed up in grief. Ronsel, the black soldier that heroically fought for our country, only to come home to the same bigotry he left, was too unjustly treated for me to handle. Laura, the voice of the book, had a life of compounding problems and dashed dreams. And her husband was basically a good man that ends up sort of cheated of his perfect future, too. I just cried for all of them, it was just too much for me. Obviously, I only like NON-SWEARING, HAPPY books!

Thirdly, I had nightmares, no kidding! I dreamed that my sweetest sister-in-law EVER cheated on my favorite brother-in-law. And I kept waking up, and re-dreaming the continuation of the dream, 3 times!! I've never had that happen before. It was so creepy, and I swear, the book triggered that! I think this book isn't for the faint of heart. Or maybe it's not for the heart that only likes to dwell in a perfect setting full of happy characters!

So that's my opinion on Mudbound. Take it or leave it.

3 comments:

maggie moran said...

I'll take it.

Oh, I'm so sorry! We need to rush a happy book to you. Another Fannie Flagg, maybe! :D

Um, you may want to step away from any rough south suggestions I'll be making. Language is a big part of those.

So sorry, again.

Andrea said...

Yea, maybe Anita Shereve (I can't remember for the life of me how to spell her name) is not your type of author either. Things rarely wrap up nicely in them, and there is a bit of swearing.

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

Andrea, my mom loves Anita Shreve. . .and I've read a few of her books and I really like them. I've been more concious of what I'm reading, when I'm blogging about it. . .like having an "audience" has made me want to be more careful (like maybe my bishop will read my blog or something, ha, ha!) Just Joking!