Thursday, June 12, 2008

My Italians, Part UNO

My ONLY Sister, Briana, is an Expatriate (or Expat, for short). People misspell this "Ex-patriot" (sometimes intentionally). It means she lives in a different country than the one she was raised in. The word comes from the Latin ex (out of) and patria (country, fatherland).

Briana has quite the adventurous spirit and has been an Expat. for many years . . . in many lands: Ireland, New Zealand, and South America. This will be her final home, I believe. She's met her other half and plans to marry him this fall.

This series of posts will be about MY ITALIANS. My baby sister and then . . . her wedding to my new Italian brother-in-law . . . (yes, I'm going to Italy for it!) and then, about my little Italian nieces and nephews . . . the first of those, her cute four-year old stepson.

This cute BABY is Briana, showing one of her many talents! She's got it GOIN' ON! She can cook, play piano like a dream, organic garden, learn new languages, weave, knit, raise bees and goats! And look at that naturally curly hair! She's dang cute.


I spent 2 hours talking to her last Thurs. morning. She has free long distance and called me from Italy. She is so in love and happy with her fiance, Sem and his son, Lucca. I can't wait to meet them both.

The last time we spent much time together was at Daniel's mission farewell (Jan. '07). The next time we'll be together is at the wedding in September. As you can tell, she and I are surrounded by 5 goofy brothers . . . Oh, the pains of being raised with so many boys!
My parents try to blame ME for the way they all act, but I think it's admirable that Briana and I turned out halfway normal, AT ALL! The boy's influence was much worse on US, than ours was on them!

7 comments:

Lana said...

How exciting!! When is the wedding?

You and your sibs are so cute:)

Grandma Duffy said...

You are so lucky to have a sister and I am bummed that she is so far away from you! I always wanted a sister and didn't have one so I am lucky to have daughters and grand daughters.

Paul Levie said...

Man if only you knew your influence had on the 5 boys. I can't honestly believe you when you say that we influenced you girls more than you have influenced and keep influencing us simple minded boys.

Andrea said...

You need to convince Briana and her new family to have a U.S. reception. You are all such cuties. Talk Briana into bloging please.

Leslie said...

Ooooh, I love your Italians too! A wedding in Italy sounds so romantic!

utmommy said...

Congrats to your sister! She sounds wonderful, just like her big sis!!

A wedding in Italy, how exciting!!!

Elaine Goold said...

Look on my Shutterfly under 2008-6 Eric's trip for some photos of Luca (only one c) and Sem and also a few of Bosa, I think. You can share to your own account the ones you want. And I can even save them back onto my computer when he shares them to my email so then I can make him a CD. You just right click on the photo you want to save to your computer. Eric read my comments to your blogs and told me I am too mean and shouldn't fight with you or get mad at you. I think he is talking about me saying you were rude in your blog talking about my love of Scottish red plaid and something else (same blog). I was just kidding, I hope I didn't hurt your feelings!!