Thursday, June 19, 2008

Goodbye, Sister Aselya!

The kids and I are very sad. We are loosing a good friend. Aselya from Kyrgyzstan is leaving to go back to her Country. She's lived here a year as a foreign exchange student and has become our favorite babysitter. She will be missed.

About 18 months ago, a Foreign Exchange Coordinator called me and asked if I would host a girl for the year. I said, "No" and refered a few names. Ultimately, some friends of ours hosted Aselya. I wish I would have prayed about that decision, instead of quickly saying, "NO." I think MAYBE the Lord would have helped me have the confidence to host a student and we could have had Asel. That would have been one of the best experiences of our lives. I know her host family believes that is true about their year with her. And in all seriousness, I'm not saying that because she would have helped me with the kids. I truely believe she is a very loved Daughter of our Heavenly Father and she would have been a wonderful example to my kids and myself.

Asel is a dream come true. She is kind, sweet and totally cleans my house everytime I leave her alone with the kids. And I have over 5,000 square feet for her to clean! She tidys all the kid's room, cleans the living room and does the dishes. She's not of our faith, but I can always count on her to read scriptures and pray with the kids. She is a very special girl and we will always miss and love her. Asel, if you ever read this, you are always in our hearts and prayers.

Josh used to have night terrors, when Asel first started babysitting for us, and I forgot to explain that to her! One night, when I came home, she told me that Josh had started crying and yelling in his sleep, a "really bad nightmare" and she just held him and rocked him until he went back to sleep. For about 30 minutes. She's that gentle and loving. And smart. She wasn't scared or anything.

We crashed the party that the girls at church had a for Asel. We all hugged her and said our goodbye's . . . I hope she keeps in touch with us! I hope she comes back to visit, too!

Asel calls us, Sister Sarah and Brother Damian (I think to delineate between all the Brother and Sister Idiart's in our ward/congregation) and so I say: Goodbye my dear, dear friend, Sister Aselya!

3 comments:

Andrea said...

I hate goodbye. It sounds like you have had a wonderful eighteen months knowing her. Where is she from? I don't think I have ever heard of it.

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

Her country is a part of what was formerly Russia, next door to China.

youreprettytoo said...

I would be crying too if I lost such a good babysitter- those are hard to come by. And seriously you should pray about that offer next time! But if it is any consolation I would have done the exact same thing. I've had friends who've had foreign exchange students and it hasn't turned out so well.