Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Valdez: "Book Obsession Beginnings"

This is where it all started. The therapist inside my head says that in order to confront my addiction and start the recovery process I must go back to the root of it all.

It was here, at the Valdez Consortium Library that I began my love affair with the written word.



I would bike 3 blocks from my home (now, a Mexican restaurant and hairdresser!) to the local library and sit for hours in THE PIT.



The colorful carpeted area used to be a sunken step-down lounge called THE PIT. I would spend hours there, reading and laying about, avoiding chores at home. And getting out of the rain.

Apparently, too many tourists (probably from Texas) fell in the pit. They would be looking up at the murals, and let's face it, Texans are so IN AWE of all things Alaska, and sometimes they are a danger to themselves! So it was filled in.


My first stop after getting off the ferry in Valdez was the Valdez Library. I scanned the shelves for the Raggedy Ann series that I spent time devouring as an early reader, but had no luck. Don't pity me, I convinced my mom to indulge my obsession a few years ago and she bought me every book in the series on EBay.

(FYI: Mom, the therapist in my head says you have to quit enabling me to be an OC 'Obsessive Crazed' Reader, but I didn't listen and neither should you!)


Then, as if in a dream, I walked upstairs and went right to a shelf, quickly finding a favorite book. It was in the exact same spot as when I used to look it up 20 years ago! I frequented this book like a drunk goes back to the same bar. I loved all things Diana in 1988, as a Junior High Nerd.

Luckily, on this trip home to Valdez, I was able to confront two obsessions: Reading in THE PIT and the Diana book that started my Complete and Total devotion to all things PRINCESS. I think I might be beyond help. Especially if I keep hearing a therapist in my head!

6 comments:

Lana said...

how funny that your house is now a library!

Kari said...

too funny, but I think you need to find pictures of your house before it was a restaurant/salon, I just can't picture someone living in such a place!!

Tiffany said...

Sarah,
so glad you are coming to grips with your addictions! Can't wait for the Twilight party August 1st! Tiff

Paul Levie said...

I can't believe that library is such a vivid library for you. I used to love playing in the library in Valdez. It was such a cool place, so many cool things for such a small town. I can still remember so many of those cool things and wonderful books that were there.

Bobvila said...

Hey now! Watch it with the Texas comments! We just have an appreciation for everything around us - it's the slow talking, stop-and-smell-the-roses trait that we seem to have! : )

The Alaska Girl said...

The beginnings of mine and my husband's love affair began in the Valdez library. I had checked out Wuthering Heights to read at the beginning of the summer before the salmon run hit, and I actually had time to read (remember, we were cannery rats).

I spent hours reading to him (and falling in love with him) in the cannery bunkhouse. I "accidentally" took the book home with me at the end of the summer. That fall, after receiving numerous angry overdue statements my sweet (by then fiance') paid for the book and wrote me the most romantic card telling me what he had done for me.

Can you tell I have good memories of that building? :)