Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Book Questions

I read this children's book last week and I can't say I'm a big fan of Lois Lowry. I know she's won a ton of awards for her writing, but I don't love her books, in fact, I think some of them are downright weird.

I just checked out her blog and she doesn't seem weird, personally . . . she mentioned 2 of my favorite books (Stand Tall, Molly Lou Mellon, and Blueberries for Sal) in recent posts, so she can't be all weird?!

The Willloughbys was morbid and even though I enjoyed it A LITTLE, I didn't think it was pleasant for children. I thought it was a rude/mocking about some great classics that I love (Little Women, Secret Garden, Little Princess & Anne of Green Gables, to name a few of my FAVORITES!!)

It reminded me a little of "Lemony Snicket's: A Series of Unfortunate Events." Those were books I also enjoyed, but my children hated them and I don't recommend to kids. If you haven't read them, watch the creepy, funny video below and you'll get the gist.

I just don't understand why kids would want to read books where unpleasant things happen to the characters. Or books where children are mistreated and unloved. I enjoy them because they're sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek and quirky (much like my own sense of humor), but I think they're frightening and disturbing for kids. I think adults can understand that kind of humor and not get worried, but children cannot.

I wonder if these are bestsellers because children, as a whole, are desensitized to all things sweet and innocent. Or if these type of books speak out to children that REALLY are suffering similar fates? Maybe these kinds of books are some that abused children can relate well to? I just don't get it. Why are these books so popular?

What do you think?


8 comments:

Lance and Kim said...

I haven't really read any of recent chldren's chapter books, mostly because they all do seem dark. Zac and I did started to read The Land of Elyon, Into the Mist by Patrick Carmen, but Zac kept asking why the mean lady kept hitting the boys and yelling at them so we quit. Now we mostly read the classics like Charlotte's Web, Peter Pan, and Swiss Family Robinson. i don't understant the purpose of the dark Children's bboks either.

Krystal said...

I haven't read the Willoughbys, but I hated Lemony Snicket's books. I only read the first one...I didn't like how the children were treated. It disturbed me. Maybe they're so popular because their controversial. Controversy sells. It's sad to think that there really are children suffering similar fates.

Virgie C said...

I don't think abused kids could possibly account for the number of Lemony Snicket books sold. I think kids like them for the same reason I initially did: they can be funny and have interesting solutions to bizarre problems. However, I was halfway through book 6 when I decided I didn't need to read any more. Not because the bad things were too dark, but because the bad things never ended.

I'm also going to guess that kids read the books simply because they're a set: "I read one, now I need the next one". I read all the Boxcar Children books when I was a kid, mostly because I was already familiar with the characters. Sequels sell.

youreprettytoo said...

My comment really has nothing to do with your post- although I did enjoy it. There are some weird children's books out there. Anyway- every time I come to your blog I have to read like 8 posts to catch up and I usually have to go into "older posts" to get them all. I am so impressed with your blogging. You are so good and letting your personality come shining through! Also I noticed that you have had a real increase in the number of comments you have received and I was wondering why the great increase. And then I saw your plea for comments and I loved it! I can't say it enough- i love you Sarah!

utmommy said...

Never read it, and don't know if I want to.

J. Baxter said...

Haven't read said books, however: I think the world has forgotten what it was to be a kid! I'm coming out of lurkville for this because it's one of my big beefs with "kid stuff". Like Scooby Doo. Why did they have to make the ghosts and monsters real?? Wasn't that the whole point??? Do they really think children have changed that much?

I'm rambling, aren't I. Sorry. I do that sometimes.

Anyway, good topic. I'll have to read some of those books and see what I think.

annie valentine said...

I also must surface. Thank you for disliking a book everyone tells you to like. I am convinced we need to teach our children early on that it's right to have opinions that go against the grain of the authoritative media monster.

For what it's worth, when my books get published you will love them. So will your children. I'm on a mission to flood the world with good old funny middle readers.

I will let you know when I actually get somewhere.

Anonymous said...

I AGREE. The Willoughby's was weird. But then, so are a lot of Dickens, and they most certainly qualify as classics. I think some kids like to read sensational stuff because it's so far removed from reality...unless it IS their reality....and in their own formidable imaginations, they can make their own resolutions and/or happy endings. Or not. Sad, huh?

In the meantime, get your kids hooked on something like Peter and the Starcatchers or the Great Brain series or even Wrinkle in Time or the Austin family series (also by L'Engle, whom I LOVE!) or anything by LM Montgomery (you know, the Anne of GG author? Did you know she wrote over 32 OTHER novels??) or anything by LM Alcott or Janette Oke (a christian fiction author -- kind of a slightly more grown up version of Laura Ingalls Wilder) or...

Tell me when to stop??