Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Josh, the Budding Artist!

Josh has been taking art lessons from a good friend of mine who also went to BYU . . . Jen Vranes. I've been teaching her kids swimming lessons. She's obviously getting the raw end of the deal, here!

Jen just finished a 60" x 48" painting called Rustic Forest and is shipping it off to a gallery in Aspen, CO. The price tag ($14,000) keeps reminding Damian that I used to paint and I ought to take it up again. Either that or write vampire books. I'm dreaming Josh follows in Jen's footsteps, to keep Damian off my back!!

Rustic Forest is gorgeous and very 3D. Jen loads the paint onto the canvas, a techqnique she's coined "Textures of Life." When you close your eyes and touch her aspen trunks, you are transported to the mountains and worry you'll tear the papery bark!




Josh spent two morning with Jen, learning how to paint, and cleaning brushes . . . and he's loved every second! This is his masterpiece, I wonder where he got the inspiration from? He is so proud of his work and has been showing everyone. We have it hung in a prominent location, for all to see.


Josh is working on another painting: grapes on the vine, for my kitchen. After that, he wants to try painting poppies, since that would look great on our entry table!! Not only can he paint, he's a home decorator, like his Grandma Idiart! This is the only painting of Jen's I own and it hangs above my mantle:These are a few of my favorite's from Jen's website. I must say, I love that I can drive over to her studio and see all the paintings that never make it onto the website! Jen has so many beautiful images, be sure and check out her site!

11 comments:

Sharon said...

I came over here to check your wrap up for the Southern reading challenge and found these BEAUTIFUL paintings! Love them.

Andrea said...

Wow, such talent. I love that Josh is so excited about this. You may get your husband off your back in a couple of years. You never knew about the attic (maybe it was a crawl space)? And I wasn't talking about the podium silly, I mean the floor to celing brown part of the wall in the back of the stand. Its made from some sort of fabric and you can get behind it and see out, but the people you are spying on don't even know you are there. I think maybe Nathen showed us all this.

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

OK, I had no idea about that thing. . .you had the inside scoop at the church. . .I thought that was the "speaker" for the organ, but it must be where "God" could watch the congregation in secret. . .like a Valdez Holy of Holies, ha, ha, just kidding. . .

Andrea said...

It probably is the cover for the speaker. We must have been standing on the actual speaker (opps), or it was hung above us. That never occured to me, I was only 8 or 9.

m+b said...

WOW, good job Josh!! You have talented kids all around!!

Anna Winn and Family said...

I'm blown away by her work. It's gorgeous. May be I can teach her kids singing lessons?????? Tell her to stop by Colorado sometime. Josh did an incredible job.

Anonymous said...

I knew Jen was talented, but WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWWOW! wOwie Wow WOW!! Simply amazing. Breathtaking. Really alive. If I save up all my boxtops for the next million years, I still couldn't imagine something that beautiful hanging on the walls of my house.

Paul Levie said...

Ya there was like a whole section of church that you had to access from the janitor closet. But once inside you could get everywhere and eavesdrop on anyone

utmommy said...

Beautiful!!

Elaine Goold said...

Josh, I love your painting! I am excited to see your future artwork also! Maybe you can teach me! Love, Grandma

Sarah- are you awake right now. It is getting too late for me and I need to go to sleep, but I tried to get Briana. I called at 11:00 and 12:00 which would have been 7:00 and 8:00 am. and no answer, so I think they are still asleep. If you are planning to be up all night as usual - you could try calling them at midnight your time and tell Briana I have Oct 16 and 17 off. But if you are not up - it's okay. I also emailed her and Eric - but I don't know how often they check their email. Okay, goodnight. Love Mom

Lance and Kim said...

I think Josh has some real talent there--and a great teacher I love Jen's art. Just wish I could afford it!