Monday, April 20, 2009

Surprise!!

Damian bought us a 13th Anniversary trip to Cancun, Mexico and we're leaving in 2 weeks! We'll be meeting Jared and Christine there (Damian's brother) and I can't wait! I spent a day researching and planning and this is what I've come up with! Disclaimer: I should have made this two posts, I got a little carried away! If you get bored, just read half and then come back and finish another day!

We'll be gone 8 days, and 2 of those will be spent traveling, so we'll have 6 days in the sun! This is what the beaches look like in Cancun. Just take a moment and picture me, reading a book, soaking it in. I think I'll spend 3 days here. . . in this cute double chair . . .with my cute husband, that I adore. I especially adore him after this surprise!

On the 4th day, when I've had enough of that cute chair, I've planned an excursion for us. We'll drive 2 hours south to visit the Tulum Ruins. They're right on the beach and really beautiful!

We'll stay for an hour or so and when it gets hot we'll drive another 15 minutes to a Water Preserve/Park called: Xel-Ha (Mayan for "The Place Where Water Begins.")

We'll have all sorts of adventures there, including swimming with 75 varieties of fish as well as dolphins, stingrays and turtles in a river inlet that forms a natural lagoon, draining into the sea. Don't worry, there is a big gate across the ocean to keep the sharks out.

After snorkeling, we'll float a REAL lazy river out to the sea. Along the way we'll stop for rope swings, cliff jumping, underwater cave exploration and other exciting junk.

For a hundred bucks, Damian MIGHT swim with dolphins. They jump over you, swim around you and "play games with you," they let you pet them, do tricks you command them (the trainers teach you the signs), they kiss & hug you as well as jump over a bar you hold for them.

For an extra $30 you can do this "Foot Push" trick, where the dolphins swim up under your feet and lift you out of the water. How long you can stay on is up to you. I hope Damian decides to do it. I want to see him do this fancy number.

Xel-Ha is only $67 dollars for all the food, drinks, and equipment you need for the day, including kayaks and bikes. Plus it's just so gorgeous. There are trails through the jungle to walk or bike that you can observe tons of butterflies, macaws, toucans, iguanas and beautiful orchids and other flora. The park closes at 5, so then we'll head back to Cancun. I think we'll be exhausted!

Another day we're planning to hit another Water Preserve called Xcaret. It has an amazing dinner theater with a night show called "Mexico Espectacular." The show chronicles the history of the Mayans people, through the conquistadors and to modern times. It's 90 minutes of gorgeous entertainment and costumery. These photos are all taken from Xcaret's site.

The part of the show I most want to see is the 3000 year old Mayan version of Basketball. This feathered ball player is sitting on top of the "basket." The ball court has long narrow alleys with side-walls against which the ball can bounce. The rules of the ballgame are not known, but judging from its modern version "Ulama," they were probably similar to racquetball or volleyball where the aim is to keep the ball in play.

In the most widespread version of the game, the players struck the ball with their hips, although some versions allowed the use of forearms, rackets or bats. The ball is about the size of a basketball, made of rubber and weighs about 9 lbs. (a basketball weighs about 1.5 lbs!) And Damian thinks he has hip problems!

"He Shoots, He Scores!" I guess during the dinner show, the two sides of the theater pick teams and we cheer for our team. I think the guys will really like to see this game played.

This is the modern ball court at our Xcaret. It's hard to notice the "basket" or goal, but it's sticking out of the wall, with the ball coming at it right in the middle of the photo.

This is the famous ball court at Chichen Itza. It is the largest ball court in Mesoamerica. If you notice, the "baskets" are WAY up high. Probably to make the game near impossible.

These Mayans were weirdos, let's face it. And VERY violent. Violent, as in, they'd have scared the pants off the Vikings and Nazi's. They sacrificed humans all the time. Because of the artwork depicted around the ball courts, it is a fact that players were sacrificed at the end of the game. What isn't known is whether the victims were the losers or winners. Most archaeologists believe the winners were sacrificed. It was supposedly an honor to be sacrificed (maybe like the Muslim Jihad) and if you were the winning team captain, you had to die. Apparently, Chichen Itza is the bloodiest and most horrific time period in earth's history, to be uncovered so far. I mean, these people were very EVIL. I'm getting the creeps about this place as I research. Click HERE to see what I'm talking about. This historian shows beautiful pictures of the ruins and the carvings that illustrate the people's deeds at Chichen Itza. The question is, should I visit this horrible place? It was recently voted one of the NEW 7 Wonders of the World. Gross. I guess it's like visiting Auschwitz or Dachau.

Here is some Mayan artwork depicting the game. I think the Mayan artwork looks cool but I'm not planning to hang any up in my house. I don't want to make a blanket statement, but it's my blog. Those people were wicked and creepy. Their culture thrived from about 500BC -1200 AD. There may have been a time that the Mayan's were nice. But evidence shows that they were sacrificing, as well as those Tolmecs that conquered them (and were even nastier). So, unless I can find something that I know is depicting the glorious, righteous years that the people in Central America were Christian, as The Book of Mormon teaches, I'm not buying.

This last shot is of the largest ruin at Chichen Itza, "The Temple of Kukulkan." Kukulkan is another name for Quetzacoatl, a mythical prince that founded Chichen Itza and became a feathered serpent god the Mayans revered. The things the Mayans did in his name were horrid. But, let's move past the blood and horror.

The Mayans were very knowlegable about astronomy. On the days of the Spring and Autumn Solstice, the sun shines through the top of the temple and casts a shadow that resembles a snake, slithering down the side of the temple (remember, their "God" was part man, part serpent and part bird.) There are exactly 364 steps to get to the top, with the top platform counting as the 365th step, symbolizing all the days in the year. Both Tulum and Chichen Itza were built Post- Book of Mormon times, so I may try and hit another group of ruins that are known to be in exhistance during the times I love reading about in my scriptures, but we'll see.

18 comments:

Lana said...

wow! what an awesome surprise!!!

Kristy Swenson said...

This makes me want to go to Mexico! I'm going to have Rob look at this post; maybe he'll take me there!! :) Good job, Damian! That's fun that you get to go with Jared and Christine too. :)

allison nadauld said...

I love how you always research vacations. It makes the trips so much more fun and organized. What a great get-away. Have fun!

Brandan and Becky said...

Hip, hip hooray for you!

m+b said...

WOW! I'm so jealous! I LOVED Cancun when I went! Its absolutely beautiful!! Too bad we can't babysit the kiddos.

Callie said...

You're going to have so much fun. I love that place! The beaches at Telum are amazing. And, eat dinner and walk around Playa del Carmen at night. It's really fun. I'm jealous- can I ride along in your suitcase?

Grandma Duffy said...

Have a really great time! I know you will. Anyone would have a great time with you!!

youreprettytoo said...

We went to cancun last spring and it was great. It sounds like you have researched all the great places. We visited Chichen Itza,but got there too late for any tours. But my in-laws went there also and stumbled upon a guy who gives you an LDS view of the ruins. So wear your BYU t-shirt when you go and he'll be sure to find you. Then maybe your view of Chichen Itza might not be so horrific. I don't remember all my in-laws told me, but I do remember it being cool. Of course I guess we don't really know! Anyway - you guys will have a blast. I wish we could go with you. I have a feeling you guys would be very fun to vacation with!

Leslie said...

Good Job Damian!!! Hope you have a wonderful, wonderful trip! Love to you both. xo ♥

Krystal said...

I went to Cancun with my mom and dad about 10 years ago. We had a great time. Xcaret was one of the highlights of the trip, as was snorkeling in Cozumel. We enjoyed the ruins at Chichen Itza and Telum too. We hardly had any time to spend on the gorgeous beaches though!! I hope Damian really does swim on a dolphin's nose. Have a great trip! What an awesome surprise!! :)

Anonymous said...

looks awesome! i had my 13th this year and spent it at work!! yours sounds much more fun:)

Natalie said...

WOW, what a fun trip. Congratulations on your anniversary. I am so glad you get to go and have an awesome vacation.
Love you guys!

The Sabeys said...

Allen and I are giong to Cancun in June! I haven't done as much research so this has really helped! Have so much fun. You will have to give me all the tips when you get back. What was really really good and worth the expenses. I also play the Mayan Ball Game with my students... a very toned donw version of the game. And in the end, we only pretend to do a human sacrifice.

Elaine Goold said...

You'll have a great time! I think you'll like the water preserves the best. I love all the ruins, but then my dream was to be an archeologist/anthropologist and I can never get enough of ancient ruins and civilizations and artifacts. I'm glad you went online and researched all the places so you'll know what to spend your time and money on. Smart girl!

Lana said...

hi!
anna wants an invite to your blog please :)
annanevares@gmail.com

Kristi said...

What a wonderful surprise. You seem to have a tradition of taking a big trip every year with just the two of you. I will have to throw out some heavy hints to Spencer that it is a great tradition we too should adopt.
I enjoyed all of your research and history. I took a few classes about the Olmecs, Mayan, Aztecs, etc. It would be neat to go and see the old stuff...and do all of that relaxing.
Lucky you!

Andrea said...

Lucky you! It sounds like you will have an amazing vacation.

Aunt Val said...

How exciting!!! I can see why you could adore, such a cute man as, Damian. He probably feels like a king, having a sweet wife, like you, too. I love your disclaimer. You are so thoughtful. The sunning in your chair and swimming along the river, snorkeling, yummy food, shows, dolphins and all the beautiful sites, sound like so much fun. If anyone deserves it, you do. Have fun. (I know you will.) Love you all, Aunt Val