Saturday, May 9, 2009

Mother's Day Tribute

Happy Mother's Day to my sweet mom! She and I are 20 years apart, although people always mistake us for sisters (and I'm the older one, apparently!) I don't know how old I am in this picture, but my dark hair is starting to turn blonde. And it looks like a need a babybra. Plus, that clothe diaper is making me nervous . . . Did I ever leak all over you, mom?

OK, back to mom . . . The sacrifices you made for your children were great and I am so grateful for all you did. Because of your influence I love reading, scrapbooking, playing games, doing puzzles and music. I find myself using your discipline style, your words of praise, your parenting and teaching methods. I look toward the future and wonder if my grandchildren will be taught to read with "100 Easy Reading Lessons." I wonder if some of your weaknesses (that I've found in myself) will be continued too . . . the weakness we both have for not being able to put a book down, for shutting the world out and focusing on our book so much that nothing else matters. . . or how about our weakness for HATING COOKING? In a world of weaknesses, I have to be grateful that those two are the only ones you have. You're pretty amazing Mom and I'm so thankful you're mine.

This is one of my favorite pictures of Jonathan, Me, Paul, my mom and Briana. We were on a trip to the "Lower 48" and had stopped in a small Canadian Town, probably Dawson Creek. Dad splurged and got us all popsicles and mom sat to enjoy them with the kids. Isn't she adorable with her pigtails? Aren't I nerdy with my red plaid pants? Dressing me cute wasn't one of Mom's strengths. But having fun and laughing with us was. Thanks for the fun memories, Mom!
I love you so much and hope your day tomorrow is fabulous. Sorry I didn't sent anything. Not even cards this year. So stop checking the box for something. I'm a slacker. I did fix up my yard with the money I could have spent on you. So next time you visit . . . the drip system is for you, Mom!

6 comments:

suzy said...

I love your mom too. Everyone always says I look exactly like her so it is fun to see pictures of her when she was my age. Do you see it? I never really have, but Grandma insists we are identical.

Jennie said...

Yeah, suzy. You guys look a lot alike. It was fun to read about your mom. She's so fun. I like reading about how much you guys enjoy playing games together. Playing games with the Goolds was always quite the experience...

Aunt Val said...

My how time flies. Your mom, once Doris, now Elaine, has been a great mother. And she looks so young, in those pictures, eating popsicles, in her pigtails. How darling. You are such a thoughtful daughter and wonderful mother, yourself. A jewel in a rough. I would like to see some pictures of Suzy. Do you have any?

Hope you've had a wonderful Mother's Day, yourself. Love you all, Aunt Val and Uncle John

Elaine Goold said...

Oh thank you, sweetheart! That was a nice tribute. I didn't even check your blog all weekend, so it was a nice surprise to see it today (Monday) at work. I sure had skinny arms and a nice little neck. Now my neck looks like a tree trunk!! And what a sweet little baby you were! I am pregnant with Michael in the popsicle picture. That was a fun trip. We weren't going to the lower 48, we just make a trip specifically to Dawson Creek in Canada, because we had heard it was so cool, and it was. It was very fun to be your mom - Well, I still am and it is still fun, but I mean as a new mother and as a mother of little children - I loved those years. Paul continually talks about how you are my favorite child - and I hope he is only kidding. But you do hold a special spot in my heart because you were my first baby and my first experience of being a mother. But I really do love all SEVEN of my children equally!!! (are you reading this, Paul?)

Natalie said...

What a great post. I think you really look so much like your Mom. That could be you instead of her and you as a baby look just like Emma. I think that is so fun. What a awesome Mom you have, but then you are awesome too.
Love you.

Krystal said...

What a sweet tribute to your mom. Both of you are very special mothers!! :) Happy Mother's Day!