Monday, May 11, 2009

Service~Week 12

How, then, may we as Latter-day women of God best help the Lord with His work? Prophets have repeatedly answered this question, as did the First Presidency six decades ago when they called motherhood “the highest, holiest service … assumed by mankind.” Sheri L. Dew

Sarah: This week Damian and I used our Mexico vacation money and his week off to improve our yard. Damian made raised garden beds, we re-barked our front yard and installed a drip system for our 130+ bushes/trees in the yard. We went to a few plant sales and bought veggies, flowers, trees, bushes, etc. to start landscaping more of our 2 acres. At this rate, we should be done with the yard in about 40 years! I decided to put some of my money towards sprucing up my mother-in-laws side, as a surprise for her for Mother’s Day. We bought tons of red geraniums (a flower she likes) and planted them up her walk way. I think she liked them and it was fun to do something nice for her, since she is always serving our kids (and us.)

Emma: I babysat with Hillary so two women from Northern California could go to the temple. These women have been neighbors for 12 years, but are both moving far away and this was the last time they could go to the temple together. The boy’s name that Katrina couldn’t remember was Ludwig. The women offered to pay us a lot, but Hillary and I said no. It felt really good to serve them, so they could serve the Lord in the temple.

Josh: All week I’ve been helping my mom in the yard, picking up weeds and pinecones, digging holes for bushes and spreading bark. I also went with Aaron and Daddy to buy a gift for Tanta Henri. She turned 60 and we bought her a new bathroom vanity.

Rachel: Today I helped my mom and dad make lunch for our Mother’s Day lunch. We cut the salad from our garden, we have 4 kinds of lettuce that we used. Ben tried a bowlful with ranch and croutons and thought it was really good. He even wanted seconds! We made cake, cheese cake and chocolate pudding, too.

Katrina: On Saturday morning, a lady brought her kids to our house so she could go to the temple. I played with a girl named Isa that was 6. She had a 4 year old brother, but I don’t know his name. She also had an 8 month old baby named Samuel that I played with. They were from Mexico, except Samuel, he’s from California because he has white skin and the other kids had black skin. Hillary came over to watch them and I helped her. In the afternoon, I went to Grandma’s and helped her with Elise and Marcus. I played with Elise and did stickers with Marcus. It was really fun and I hope I can do it again.

Benjamin: I was just helping Daddy make desserts for our Mother’s Day party. We made a cake or pie. I’m not too sure. (they made chocolate pudding, a cake and a cheesecake!) When Daddy was home all week working in the yard I was his helper. We drove in the truck to get bark and to the garden store to get sprinkler parts and tools and stuff like that. We were always driving somewhere together, even out to lunch a few times. For two days it was rainy and I got muddy, but I found some boots to use everyday in the yard.

2 comments:

Grandma Duffy said...

Even though vacations are so much fun, it is so satisfying to work together and accomplish so much. You just keep looking at how good it looks and are so happy to say you did it - together!
Happy Mothers Day yesterday

Elaine Goold said...

Hey, I forgot to wish you a Happy Mother's Day, Sarah! Sorry! I do hope you had a nice day. Your yard sounds so nice - so much work! I'm excited to see it. But I guess not this year, huh? Katrina - Hurry and turn 8 so I can come up for your baptism!!!