Sunday, May 17, 2009

Service ~ Week 13

One day Jesus’s disciples asked Him the following question: “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”

Jesus, having summoned a little child, set him in the midst of them and said, “Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

“Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 18:1, 2–4).

Elder Gérald Caussé of the Quorum of the Seventy said, “Little children have a marvelous disposition to learn. They have total trust in their teacher, a pure spirit, and great humility—in other words, the same qualities which open the door to the Holy Spirit. He is the channel through whom we gain knowledge of the things of the Spirit.”

Sarah: I know this quote isn’t about service, but it applies, trust me! I was just called to be the Nursery Leader in my ward. I went for the first time today and it was great. I think there are about 16 kids in there, including my adorable niece, Elise. I’ve been the Nursery Leader twice before, so I have no apprehension about this calling. It’s just plain fun and today only 5 kids cried and only one cut himself and got bloody. Where else can you play barefoot, sing, dance, do playdough, blow bubbles with a bubble gun and eat during church?

Damian: “Kristi Collins. Uncle Fred.” (Now that his bro. Justin is home from Law School for the summer, Damian isn’t going to Tiffany’s to babysit her kids at 5:30am so she can work out before they go to school. He is now going to our friend Kristi’s, while her husband is at The FBI Academy in Quantico, VA. He also goes at 5:30, but Kristi’s kids get up MUCH earlier than Tiff’s. He tells them his name is Uncle Fred, even though the oldest (6) knows him as Katrina’s daddy. He thinks that by passing himself off as a crazy, unheard of relative the kids won’t be freaked out by a strange man in the house. So far, so good.)

Emma: At Young Women’s this week we did rock pick up duty in Charlotte Johnson’s field. She has horses and trains them in the fields. So I helped her AND the horses.

Joshua: I helped Dad put the chickens in the chicken coop and I watered all mom’s plants that she hasn’t planted yet. I also helped Allison with her kids, but that wasn’t service because she invited me to spend the night.

Benjamin: I cleaned up my room. I had A LOT of games out and Daddy helped me. We also made my bed and cleaned pine cones off the driveway. And we put the chickens in the chicken coop because they are too big for the box in the garage now. They smell so bad, I think I will die if I smell them again.

4 comments:

suzy said...

Don't make that boy help with those chickens anymore!! We don't want him to die.

Brandan and Becky said...

I laughed at Damian passing himself off as "Uncle Fred." Then I really, really laughed at Ben smelling the chickens. So happy you're in nursery. I only teach every other week. Let me know if you need a substitute.

Becky

Jennie said...

Nice. I think we've found one major difference between our spouses. Mine would NEVER get up at 5:30 am to help someone out. That's pretty darn amazing...even if he needs to pass himself off as uncle fred.

Krystal said...

Rachel went to nursery for the first time two weeks ago and loved it! (There were about 5 kids there...I can't imagine 16 kids in one nursery!!) Good luck in your new calling!