Sunday, May 3, 2009

Service ~ Week 11

During His ministry on the earth, Jesus Christ spent His time serving and helping others. True disciples of Jesus Christ do likewise. The Savior said, "By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another" (John 13:35).

We haven't done our Service Journal for 2 months. We've been doing service, but not writing about it. But lately, the kids have asked me to start it up again. So here we go!

Damian: Sarah and I have arranged to have the BYU Chamber Orchestra come to Medford. We've built a website, emailed ward bulletin contacts, put posters up in surrounding chapels and talked to our friends about it. If you want tickets please go to: http://www.byuorchestra.myevent.com/ All we have left to do is advertise in the community and arrange a dinner as well as housing for the performers!

Sarah: I've been going for the last 2 weeks to my friend Ginny's house to clean on Wed. One day I brought Emma to help. She's supposed to rest and let her twin girls GROW. Some days I come home in a cleaning mood and clean my own house. Oh wait, that was in my dream, not reality.

Emma: Two weeks ago I went to a sister in our ward's house before school. She's having twins and needed some help. I cleaned her bathroom and her kitchen. The week before that some friends and I babysat for the BYU Alumni Event. A Proffessor came to speak and there were 25 kids there. I started working on my personal progress book, since I'm in Young Women's now and counted that babysitting towards my goals. I also went to the temple and did temple work for some people that didn't have the chance in this life to be baptized.

Joshua: On Friday, I went to my Aunt Allison's house and babysat Noah and Mary for about 15 min. until Grandma came. I got to sleep over and the next morning, I played with the kids.

Rachel: We decided to change our old kitchen table into a coffee table for our living room. We'd been storing it outside in our covered porch area. A lot of birds fly around in there and they must think that table is a toilet. Anyway, I scrubbed the table and helped mom bring it inside. Mom and I switched all the table legs around with a wrench.

Katrina: On Saturday, I cleaned the bathroom with mommy. I also played with Noah at the City Wide Clean Up.

Benjamin: I went with my Daddy to the Clean Up Day. I pulled out weeds and helped my Dad. I also played with Noah and Mary while Uncle Aaron used the weedwacker. I also went grocery shopping with Aunt Tiffany and helped her.

5 comments:

Brandan and Becky said...

As the proud owner of 3 of the kids Emma babysat, THANK YOU! Having free babysitting made it so easy to go to a fantastic lecture.

Becky

Jaysonsmom said...

That is so cool that you guys discuss service the way you do. I need to teach my son more about service. Great Inspiration.

Renee said...

I want the orchestra to come here! How did you do that?

Elaine Goold said...

I'm so glad you're posting on your service journal again! I love reading about all the kind and helpful things you all do to help others. I'm so impressed by all of you and what wonderful people you are! I love you! (I'm very interested to see your new coffee table. What a weird name for a table in your home, huh?)

Krystal said...

I'm glad that your service journal is back. It is inspiring me to maybe start one of my own. At least then I can see if I do any service during the week. :) You guys are all amazing!!