Monday, September 22, 2008

20 Worst Habits: PART TWO

Let's continue with my 20 Worst Habits. Just in case you didn't get enough last week.

Or maybe you have totally lost your mind.

Alrighty then . . . to continue:

15. I have no self control when it comes to sweets and chips. If I eat one cookie, I have to eat the whole plate. Forget the mini-candy bar bags sold around Halloween. I buy them thinking I'll allot myself one tiny bar a day. Then, I eat the whole bag! I just try not to buy anything sweet. And I hardly ever bake.

14. I eat WAY TOO FAST. I finish dinner and some of my kids are still deciding if what I cooked is palatable. So we play a game . . . they take one bite, I take one bite. Remember? I have 5 kids, so you can see where some bad tasting recipes end up . . . on my BUTT.

13. I don't immunize on time. My kids are all up to date a week before they get kicked out of school. I just hate shots. Not the actual shot, or the theory behind immunizing, don't get me wrong. I just am so annoyed and bothered that I have to take time out of my life to go to the doctor. Too bad you can't immunize by email! Katrina really did ALMOST get kicked out of kindergarten, last year. And Ben had to miss his third day of Pre-school last week to get shots. They told me he couldn't come back unless he was caught up.

12. I am pushy in one area of my life, my kids education. I request teachers every year and about 20 moms call me to ask who I'm requesting and who they should request . . . and how to do it. Sometimes I help them write the letter, word for word. Apparently, I've earned a little name for myself (it might be a swear word for some teachers!) Watch out, TEACH! If you cross me or my kids. . . you'll be on my blacklist and be messed up for life. This is on my "Worst Habit Lis" because some of the Elementary School Staff still bring up the year I got my request in late and used my husbands official Law Firm Stationary. In hindsight that was a little over the top, and they don't let me forget it!

11. My other "High Horse" is my kids moral upbringing. I am a Crazy-Media-Nazi-Mom.

The kids can't watch any shows or read books with characters that are older than them. No Harry Potter, No Twilight, and other inappropriate books for kids under 11. This really limits the Disney Channel, even 'Zach and Cody' have girlfriends now! They can't watch PG-13 at all and many PG movies are out.

Their Internet use is HEAVILY monitored and they have to use my email address. They rarely go play at friends houses unless I know the parents very well and have noticed that they have similar standards. I do let them invite any friends over to our house, but I watch "NEW" kids like a HAWK!

My kids do not attend sleepovers, outside of our extended family. They can stay for "Late-Nighters" and I come pick them up between 9 and 10pm. I am letting Emma have her first sleepover for her 12th birthday party. Next March. She's so excited she has it all planned 7 months in advance. I think this is part of the "Worst Habit List" because my kids hate me for all the above reasons. But I don't care. Hate all you want, Mamma ain't bending the rules.

Now friends, go forth and IMMUNIZE. And then eat a whole bag of my personal favorite: Salt and Vinegar Chips, in my honor! Until next time!

15 comments:

Lana said...

no Harry Potter! No sleep overs! You're crazy woman!

Cra-ZY! :)

Cindy and Robert said...

I love your attitude!!! You are also the best blogger EVER!!! Keep it up, and your kids will love you for these exact same reasons in 15 years so, keep to it!

Amber said...

lol! I love reading your blog. You are so down to earth yet you keep your families best intrest at heart! Thanks for the early morning laughs! It's hard to believe that walking can be fun but with your and Kristi it is!

Brandan and Becky said...

As new parents, the advice Brandan and I got most consistently was "no sleep-overs." We thought if so many parents we admired followed that rule, we would to. We don't even have teenagers, yet, and it's already saved us headaches.
So, Sarah, this means you're down to 19 bad habits, because Crazy- Media-Nazi-Mom doesn't count.

Becky

Grandma Duffy said...

I am just like you. If I open a bag of anything I have to finish it off right away so I won't have it there to tempt me later...I also eat way too fast. You wouldn't know that food is as accessable as it is by watching me eat....lol.

Michael Larsen said...

OK, Sarah, I'm printing this for my kids... they think I'm the meanest daddy ever because I monitor their iTunes purchases and actually screen some of the media that they see, though nowhere near where you are currently at. It will be nice to prove I'm not the meanest person out there (LOL!). And no, I don't think you are mean, I think you are more responsible than I have been, and perhaps I'm just a tad bit jealous :).

Kristi said...

I am also a mean mom. There is just so much horrible junk out there that I am very selective about what the kids watch too. No sleep overs either. I am glad that I am not the only meaniac.

lish and toby said...

I completely am the same when it comes to #15,#12 and #11. Those "fun size" candybars are addicting and I try justifying what I am doing with the size of the bar.
And when it comes to my kids, at school, I don't worry about being popular with anyone! Plus I keep a G rated house in everything they see watch and do. Keep them sweet and innocent as long as I can! Some of your "worst habits" you may see later as some of the best!

utmommy said...

I totally have no control when it comes to certain foods. I could eat an entire pan of brownies all on my own. Sad to admit, but it's true.

I also love Salt & Vinegar chips.

jen said...

Unfortunatly I can relate on all the bad ones and only some of the good. I too am out of control with food...especially the bad kind. I found myself telling the kids that they couldn't have goldfish crackers (you know the ones you by specifically for the kids) because I was fixing dinner...I then found myself in the pantry w/the door closed grabbing a few here and there (although I found Chris hiding fruit snacks for himself around the house...we're a sad pair) btw, S&V chips ARE the best!!I also relate on 14, 13 & 11 (I'm working on 12 okay). Ari is quite upset with me because of the whole late night thing, but you can never be too careful.

Krystal said...

I never had sleepovers either, and I turned out okay...I think! :) I think I'll have the same rule for Rachel. Plus, at my house, we don't even have TV at all...so Zach and Cody's girlfriends won't even be an issue! So, if you thought you were mean...ha, I'm even meaner. And, especially after teaching, I think it is vitally important to be involved in your child's education. So, these bad habits aren't really that bad...maybe you better think of something worse! :)

Paul Levie said...

You must hate coming to my house even for the weekend, unlimited television for the kids anything they want and they are 2 and 4, Ariana has already had various sleepovers and she is the 4 year old. Sweets that is how I get the kids to shut up sometimes. Nazi parenting I am usually crashed in the bedroom from work while the TV is tending the kids. Love you and see you in a couple of days. PS but you are very good about not trying to push any of your Nazi-mom rules onto others.

annie valentine said...

I am crazy media nazi mom too. No radio (ipod?) until you're 12, and then I trust you will only listen to country music and oldies.

And no Sponge Bob. Ever.

(But I kind of love Homer Simpson)

Andrea said...

I am sort of a border line mean mom. We have Zack and Cody, and even Sponge Bob, but no Bratz. And as far as mini Halloween candy bars go, the Halloween that I was pregnant with Olivia I ate so many that I gained 10 pounds during Oct. I just couldn't stop!

m+b said...

ARE YOU A COMPLETE PSYCHO??? Can you imagine if our mom and dad were like that??!! All of us would have rebelled so bad that we'd all have crack babies and addictions to The Jerry Springer Show!!!!
Don't be that kinda mom.
Please don't be the mom that all the other kids at school think is a nut (not in a funny hippy way, but a weird way that we don't understand kinda way). It is your job to raise your kids in the church not force them into a moral code that would surprise even a protestant. Our other brother tried that one up in heaven already and it didn't work out. His name is Lucifer.
Oh ya and if you haven't realized this is mike your brother that supports free agency with J.C.